You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgotten password for Apple ID

I am the main user or admin for my iMac. My partner has her own user pager on this computer. She recently created her own Apple ID but has now forgotten her password.

She has gone through the 'I forgot my password' link and received An Apple notification on her phone and entered the numbers she was given. I expected from that she could enter a new password. However what then came up was a request for the iMac computer password which Ive long forgotten. So I clicked on 'forgotten password' then another message came on saying click account recovery and this may take some time or words to that effect.

I have 2 questions:

1. Will I be able to use my iMac as normal whilst Apple go through their account recovery procedure and how long will this take ?

1. Is there a quicker way of getting a new password for my partner or is there a way my partner can just create a new ID ?

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 6:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 8:51 AM

If it is her Apple ID that is in password recovery, that shouldn't affect your computer or use of your Apple ID. The recovery period varies a lot. Sometimes it is a couple of days and I have read posts where the recovery can take a couple of weeks or more.

The only way to end the recover period is to sign in with the correct password. She can create a new Apple ID, but all data and purchases associated with her prior ID will be lost.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2020 8:51 AM in response to wonderboy14

If it is her Apple ID that is in password recovery, that shouldn't affect your computer or use of your Apple ID. The recovery period varies a lot. Sometimes it is a couple of days and I have read posts where the recovery can take a couple of weeks or more.

The only way to end the recover period is to sign in with the correct password. She can create a new Apple ID, but all data and purchases associated with her prior ID will be lost.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Forgotten password for Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.