You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Macbook Air constantly lose WiFi connectivity?

I have to disconnect and reconnect the WiFi every time I log on to it. Even though the WiFi shows connected, I have to disconnect and reconnect if it sits untouched for a couple of minutes. I've reset the router and I've started it in Safe Mode while resetting the router. I don't have the problem with my PC or anything else.

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 3:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 3:41 PM

See if the problem is specific to your Wi-Fi router, or to your Mac. Try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network. See if the same issues persist there. Or if the issues are seemingly associated with your Wi-Fi router and/or its RF environs.

Sometimes suggested is to remove and re-add the location, but I would not start with that.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2020 3:41 PM in response to Cruzoired

See if the problem is specific to your Wi-Fi router, or to your Mac. Try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network. See if the same issues persist there. Or if the issues are seemingly associated with your Wi-Fi router and/or its RF environs.

Sometimes suggested is to remove and re-add the location, but I would not start with that.

Feb 6, 2020 4:31 PM in response to Cruzoired

Cruzoired wrote:

If it were the WiFi router, wouldn't it affect my other devices?

If the rest of the clients are using 2.4 GHz, and the Mac is the only client on 5 GHz?

Or if the Mac is trying to use Wi-Fi 5 802.11ac, and the other clients are using Wi-Fi 4 802.11n, and the router has a flaky Wi-Fi 5?

There are potential wrinkles in Wi-Fi implementations, and in Wi-Fi networks.

Check the router firmware for updates, too.

Testing the Mac on another network also tests the Mac Wi-Fi against a different router.

If it’s flaky there, it’s more likely the Mac.

Why does my Macbook Air constantly lose WiFi connectivity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.