You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two-factor authentication

I get it... We are not able to turn off the two-factor authentication. However, the annoyance factor just raised it to the level of throwing all my Apple devices out of the window of a 40 story skyscraper and have a back hoe crush it under its tread.

Is there a way to change the device that is being notified with the authentication number? It is annoying as I take my iPad everywhere, but my laptop secured elsewhere. So if I were to accidentally do something stupid while away from my laptop, (I have serious butter finger moments) which requires me to confirm my verification code, I am totally screwed until I get back to my laptop...

What am I missing? Is there a way to change this to another also mobile device? (For the record my other mobile device is not an Apple product)

This may be silly, but I tried the FAQs first and didn't find an answer to my dilemma So here I am.

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 4:36 PM

By default, Apple 2 factor authentication codes are sent simultaneously by encrypted iCloud push notification to all trusted devices listed under your AppleID.

I have an iPhone, 3 iPads and two Macs. When I need a code, an iCloud push notification pops up on all of them at the same time.

You can (and should) register some other SMS and/or voice capable telephone number as a backup, but it will not be used by default (only as backup when you don’t have access to an Apple trusted device).

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2020 4:36 PM in response to BJPL_00

By default, Apple 2 factor authentication codes are sent simultaneously by encrypted iCloud push notification to all trusted devices listed under your AppleID.

I have an iPhone, 3 iPads and two Macs. When I need a code, an iCloud push notification pops up on all of them at the same time.

You can (and should) register some other SMS and/or voice capable telephone number as a backup, but it will not be used by default (only as backup when you don’t have access to an Apple trusted device).

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

two-factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.