You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Accessory Needs Power

Trying to connect my new USB SuperDrive to my new MacBook Air with a USB-C Multiport Pro that was sold to me at the Apple store. The SuperDrive will not work and I get the message about needing power.

How do I get it to work?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 3:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 12:25 PM

babowa wrote:
Some USB accessories require more power than what the USB port provides. I use some without a problem, but have a power adapter available just in case. I do not have an explanation why it would work on a different laptop - maybe someone else does.

That's rather difficult with the Apple USB SuperDrive. They have it specifically locked in the operating system to only allow its use when directly hooked up to Mac's USB port, or through designated adapters.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2020 12:25 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:
Some USB accessories require more power than what the USB port provides. I use some without a problem, but have a power adapter available just in case. I do not have an explanation why it would work on a different laptop - maybe someone else does.

That's rather difficult with the Apple USB SuperDrive. They have it specifically locked in the operating system to only allow its use when directly hooked up to Mac's USB port, or through designated adapters.

Mar 13, 2020 7:31 AM in response to babowa

• Just to confirm before I go buy one, my new laptop has NO USB -A slots. It only has 4 Thunderbolt slots. The issue is that the Apple SuperDrive I own has only an attached USB Type-A Connector Cable. So I’m having to go through an accessory to gain that functionality and the accessory is not powered. Do the drives you cite have a Thunderbolt cable?

Mar 12, 2020 1:53 PM in response to y_p_w

I do not have nor have I ever had an external Apple Superdrive. After having to have 2 internal ones replaced due to failure by Apple, I decided that it was best to get a more rugged tray loading device rather than the super slim slot loading one. I've used an external drive for at least 7 years or so.

Mar 13, 2020 8:47 AM in response to BassoII

You will need to check; I do not know the specs for all their drives. However, I bought mine some time ago and that only has Thunderbolt 1 and USB ports. There are also dozens of results searching for a dvd writer with usb-c port online. And, if you are not going through an adapter, you might be able to get away without its own power supply (personally, I prefer having one).

USB Accessory Needs Power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.