You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could the phishing emails come from when ITunes downloaded the U2 album years ago?

I had gotten what I think was another phishing email which I

forwarded to the Apple phishing site. 

But my question to you is:

Could this have occurred from the free download of U2 you

gave us years ago?  I can't get ever get rid of that album.  Apple

keeps  reinstalling it every time you

have us do an update (on Itunes, not my account)   The

reason I'm mentioning this is that today  I went into: Account,  Purchased items  to see if anything was charged, it is now

showing the U2 album which I don’t remember seeing before.  ( There is no charge for this)

Could this person who

had downloaded this album to your customers account be the one that is now

doing the phishing?

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 3:15 PM

Unlikely. As there is no person downloading the album to your account. All apple does is tell the iTunes store everybody has purchased the album so its available on their accounts. Its fairly automated method.

Whoever activated the purchase, would likely not have access to Apple's database of email accounts. Compartmentalization is important in these kinds of situations.

You can go to the following link to remove the U2 album from your account: http://itunes.com/soi-remove

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2020 3:15 PM in response to Jaybird48

Unlikely. As there is no person downloading the album to your account. All apple does is tell the iTunes store everybody has purchased the album so its available on their accounts. Its fairly automated method.

Whoever activated the purchase, would likely not have access to Apple's database of email accounts. Compartmentalization is important in these kinds of situations.

You can go to the following link to remove the U2 album from your account: http://itunes.com/soi-remove

Feb 10, 2020 3:17 PM in response to Jaybird48

The color of socks I’m wearing right now has as much to do with that as does that U2 album.

Your email address was likely exposed in one of the bazillions of server breaches.

The automated spamming tools have picked yours up among the legions of others.

If you want to see which breaches you’ve been caught up in: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Your passwords from those breaches are also in circulation and being used to try to cram your logins everywhere.

This as various of those breached sites used rotten practices for password storage.

Could the phishing emails come from when ITunes downloaded the U2 album years ago?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.