You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos organization

How do I sort "photos" in photos to "newest" first not the "oldest"? I dont understand , Why isn't this an option and why isn't this the default? I prefer my photos view to be sorted to newest, not oldest first.

As old posts commented, no one wants to scroll thru all the old photos. I have multiple albums which I want to keep organized also, where photos within the albums can be arranged as newest first. My albums, however, are in a specific order separate from newest, which I want to keep in my chosen order.

Thanks for your insights, Lyn

PS> Im updating to Mojave asap, but dont know if that will help.

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 10:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 1:05 AM

Updating will not change the way you can sort the predefined views in Photos.

Photos has been designed in a way to keep it simple and offer only an essential set of options. Instead of having few albums with many sort options we are having many Albus with a fixed sort order. We are supposed to pick an album that is showing the photos sorted in the way we want. You can quickly access the new photos in the "Last Import" album, or jump to a specific date by starting from the "Years", "Collections", "Days", or start from the Places or People. All predefined albums are showing their predefined sort order in the menu "View > Sort" as grayed out, so you can see easily, how the photos will be sorted, either by the day added, like All Photos on High Sierra, or the capture date "Oldest First".

I am creating my own "All Photos" album as a smart album. You may want to add this to your list of albums.

• "File > New Smart Album"
  • Call the new album "My All Photos" or similar.
  • Set the smart rule to "Date is before 1.1.4000".

This smart album will contain all your photos and you can sort it by Newest First.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2020 1:05 AM in response to artisit

Updating will not change the way you can sort the predefined views in Photos.

Photos has been designed in a way to keep it simple and offer only an essential set of options. Instead of having few albums with many sort options we are having many Albus with a fixed sort order. We are supposed to pick an album that is showing the photos sorted in the way we want. You can quickly access the new photos in the "Last Import" album, or jump to a specific date by starting from the "Years", "Collections", "Days", or start from the Places or People. All predefined albums are showing their predefined sort order in the menu "View > Sort" as grayed out, so you can see easily, how the photos will be sorted, either by the day added, like All Photos on High Sierra, or the capture date "Oldest First".

I am creating my own "All Photos" album as a smart album. You may want to add this to your list of albums.

• "File > New Smart Album"
  • Call the new album "My All Photos" or similar.
  • Set the smart rule to "Date is before 1.1.4000".

This smart album will contain all your photos and you can sort it by Newest First.

Photos organization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.