You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage

Why is my iPhone storage full and not allowing me to take pictures when I have plenty of space free on my iCloud?

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 3:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 3:23 PM

Because internal memory and icloud storage are 2 different things.

You have plenty of space on icloud to backup or sync to it.

Read here How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

6 replies

Feb 19, 2020 8:09 PM in response to naveen219

Naveen,

Your answer is not correct. iCloud is more of a sync service rather than a complete storage or an extension of storage. It is not an additional storage drive in the cloud. One thing that iCloud does is to store your iPhone's backups however it backs up your iPhone approximately once every 24 hours and the previous backups are eliminated and most current is active.

One thing that an iPhone user can do is pick the OPTIMIZE PHOTOS on the iPhone and that will maintain the original resolution photos on iCloud and a converted low resolution representative of that photo on the iPhone. This saves space on the iPhone and the user can recall the original resolution photo from the iCloud at will to share.

Just wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Axel F.

Feb 19, 2020 8:10 PM in response to Mallory2009

You have to upgrade the storage on your iphone storage by buying a new iPhone with a bigger storage size.

When you use iCloud, you have 5GB or more of storage (icloud only). You can use that storage space for your iCloud backups, to keep your photos and videos stored in iCloud Photos, and your documents up to date in iCloud Drive. Depending on the size of your backup and amount of content you keep

Feb 19, 2020 8:17 PM in response to AppleTricks

AppleTricks,

Your response is not accurate. iCloud is a sync service which duplicates what you have on your iPhone on to its storage space. One thing it does is that it also creates a backup of your device, separately, and updates it about once every 24 hours. You can also restore that backup to a new iPhone (for example).

This means that if you delete files, pictures or media on your iPhone then it is deleted on the iCloud as well.

Axel F.

iPhone storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.