You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling iMessage that go to iPad

I have randonly started receiving my mums texts as iMessages to my

iPad instead of text messages to my phone (I have a samsung gs9), when I turn off iMessages on my iPad I simply don’t receive the messages at all, to either phone as text or iPad.

Haven’t changed anything recently w my iPad or phone and it’s only happening with one contact

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 2:12 PM

7 replies

Feb 23, 2020 5:03 PM in response to mikaela180

I wasn't rude or condescending. I clearly misread what you posted, but I was trying to be helpful. Obviously not too well.

I suspect the issue is you're not using iPhone with your iPad. It's seamless if you use iPhone and iPad. It's not seamless if you use iPad and Samsung phone. You mom needs to send texts to your telephone number. If she texts your phone number, they won't be able to arrive on your iPad. She's using iMessage, which will send messages to your iPad, not your Samsung phone.

Feb 23, 2020 5:12 PM in response to mikaela180

I concur with what lobsterghost1 has shared, except that since you have an iPad, your Apple ID is now registered in iMessage, as it appears you must have turned that on. Given that, it is possible that your contact on her device has also associated your phone number with iMessage.

What happens if you send her a text message and she responds to you in that thread? Do the two of you live close enough together to see what happens? This can happen when people use an iPad and an Android phone, as when someone with an iPhone sends to your Apple ID, then it believes you are now an iMessage user, and will always use iMessage to contact you.

Feb 25, 2020 3:10 AM in response to lobsterghost1

When I send her a text it will be an SMS from my phone to hers, however when she replies it only comes to the iPad and MacBook. When I turned off iMessage on the iPad, I didn't receive the message to any device.

We worked out a way around it however I'm not sure it is the best way to go about it. She has deleted my email from my contact number on her phone as it is associated with my Apple ID so that they are completely separate.

I'm still not sure why it happened now, as I've had the iPad for about a year.

Disabling iMessage that go to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.