You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the Feature that Shows PDF Attachments in the Email Body?

When I, and others, receive an email that contains a PDF attachment on their iPad or iPhone running iOS 13.x, the PDF shows up in the body of the actual email. I/We don't have to separately open the attachment, it's just there.

1. What is the name of this feature?
  2. When was that feature introduced?
  3. Do users have control over this? (read: Can we disable that functionality?)

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 8:31 AM

Very help answer, but the design seems rather silly. If I want to save 3, single page PDFs, and email them they all show up in the body of the email. Anything with 2 or more pages is an attachment. Makes it difficult for the recipient to save and file.

8 replies

Apr 20, 2020 8:48 AM in response to timothyjohnd

How the recipient sees the file and how you see it when you add it to the email are unrelated.

Yes, if the PDF is a single page PDF, it automatically shows it in the body of the email you are composing, if it has 2 or more pages, it will be shown as a file icon attached to the body of the email instead. However, whether the recipient sees it as such or as just an attachment, is controlled by whatever email client they are using.

Apple's own default email app in its devices, will show it in the body of the email, other email clients like outlook, or Thunderbird, will very likely simply show it as an attachment outside the actual email.

How the recipient then saves the attachment, is not for you to control. Each recipient should be capable of saving the attachment by whichever method their email client provides regardless of how you see it.

There is no control over this, and there does not need to be, since any control you may have would only be local to you, and have no effect on how the recipient's email client chooses to display the attachment.

Mar 13, 2020 7:53 AM in response to JuliusPIV

Sufficient time has passed for a *Bump* - Still looking for an update on this.

The same question asked differently:

1. Why do PDF attachments show in the body of the email instead of as a separate attachment?
  2. What is that feature or functionality called?
  3. When was this feature or functionality added?
  4. Do we have the ability to toggle this feature or functionality on/off?

To be extra clear:

• I'm not complaining.
  • I'm not asking to open the PDF in another application.

Apr 18, 2020 12:06 AM in response to LotusPilot

I seem to recall that we could control attachment previews a while back in older versions of Mac OS X, but unfortunately that no longer seems to be the case.

Also, I believe that what determines whether an attached PDF will show as an icon or as a preview is the page count. If I'm not mistaken, Mail shows previews of single-page PDFs, but icons only for multiple-page PDFs.

What's the Feature that Shows PDF Attachments in the Email Body?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.