You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone resolved the over counting of flights, exercise and calories for Series 4 Watch?

Like a number of people posting, my Apple Watch 4 went from accurately counting flights, exercise and calories to outrageously over counting them. I followed a lot of the recommendations - for which I am greatly appreciative! - however nothing has resolved the issue and I'm not seeing anyone else posting they had success.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to resolve this issue? I considered buying a series 5; however, my watch is barely a year old and I've seen several posts about the same issues with the Series 3 and one post citing the same issue with Series 5. Super frustrating :-(

Thanks!

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 9:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2020 7:29 AM

I'll share my experience thus far:

1. I turned both my watch and iPhone off and restarted them.
  2. I calibrated my Watch, which started my health history all over again. Not the end of the world but the two to four workouts I had after doing so had some wild results e.g., overstating miles run on treadmill, 800 calories burned for a workout that's normally 400 cals burned, etc. With more workouts it's getting back to normal.
  3. I unpaired and re-paired my Watch. Again not the end of the world but because unpairing reset my watch to factory settings I have a few things I need to go back in and update.
  4. By looking at the data source in the Health App on my iPhone, Apple Support confirmed the bad data is coming from my watch and not my iPhone.
  5. Apple Support ran diagnostics and confirmed it is not a software issue. It is a hardware issue and I was advised to take it to an Apple Store or an authorized Apple service provider to be repaired.
  6. I went to an authorized Apple service provider and was advised the solution will be to replace the unit for $299 since it is no longer under warranty; I purchased it in January or February 2019 and believe I paid $399. The service provider told me I would be better off buying a new watch.
  7. I spoke with Apple Support regarding my concern with the solution and after working with a senior advisor I was advised they will speak with an engineer and call me back this week.

I'll provide a follow up later this week but would also like to hear how anyone was able to resolve the issue themselves. I would like to keep my watch since I'm happy with all of the other features but I really need the Activity App to work.

Thanks!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2020 7:29 AM in response to awuserjan

I'll share my experience thus far:

1. I turned both my watch and iPhone off and restarted them.
  2. I calibrated my Watch, which started my health history all over again. Not the end of the world but the two to four workouts I had after doing so had some wild results e.g., overstating miles run on treadmill, 800 calories burned for a workout that's normally 400 cals burned, etc. With more workouts it's getting back to normal.
  3. I unpaired and re-paired my Watch. Again not the end of the world but because unpairing reset my watch to factory settings I have a few things I need to go back in and update.
  4. By looking at the data source in the Health App on my iPhone, Apple Support confirmed the bad data is coming from my watch and not my iPhone.
  5. Apple Support ran diagnostics and confirmed it is not a software issue. It is a hardware issue and I was advised to take it to an Apple Store or an authorized Apple service provider to be repaired.
  6. I went to an authorized Apple service provider and was advised the solution will be to replace the unit for $299 since it is no longer under warranty; I purchased it in January or February 2019 and believe I paid $399. The service provider told me I would be better off buying a new watch.
  7. I spoke with Apple Support regarding my concern with the solution and after working with a senior advisor I was advised they will speak with an engineer and call me back this week.

I'll provide a follow up later this week but would also like to hear how anyone was able to resolve the issue themselves. I would like to keep my watch since I'm happy with all of the other features but I really need the Activity App to work.

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2020 4:01 PM in response to awuserjan

In follow up, the senior advisor replied promptly and professionally. We went through unpairing and re-paring the watch again but started it as a new watch as opposed to backing it up from historical data. It took less than a few brisk laps around the house (no stairs) for me to accumulate 6 flights of stairs. The senior advisor advised me my only option was to send the watch for repair and pay $299. She was very respectful as was I as I shared my disappointment with:

1.    a 14 month old $400 watch that is useless for my needs

2.    paying $299 to get another Series 4 that potentially has the same problems 

3.   lack of acknowledgment from the multiple Apple Support staff I spoke with regarding the number of issues on the community board regarding the ame issue I've encountered

4.    Apple appearing to not stand by their products

So what did I do?

1.    I researched other wearable fitness devices and they just don't offer the same features

2.    I researched replacing my watch with another Apple Watch and found that Apple sells Series 3 and Series 5 watches on their website but not Series 4

3.   I purchased the Series 5 on Costco.com with a $25 discount and $110 trade-in for my Series 4

4.    I paid for AppleCare

5.    When replacing my 6+ year old Orange Theory Fitness heart rate monitor and being asked if I wanted to wait for the HR monitor that's compatible with the Apple Watch (and only the Apple Watch), I shared that I was not inclined to spend $140 for a device that would be useless if the issues with the Apple Watch continue.

Mar 15, 2020 4:26 AM in response to jlhailer

Oh no! So discouraging! Can I ask what your plans are? e.g., return the watch and buy something different, have Apple replace it, etc.

I briefly considered the Series 3 as a replacement for my Series 4 since I haven’t seen similar complaints about it and you can’t beat the price. However, going from the larger Series 4 screen to the smaller Series 3 screen wasn’t an acceptable solution for me.

Mar 15, 2020 8:43 AM in response to jlhailer

I understand. I started with the Series 1 and then upgraded to the Series 4 after I got more than my monies worth out of the Series 1. Even with the issues with the 4, I optimistically bought the 5. I’m not sure what that says about me :) I’ll get it this week and will share my experience.

I hope you’re able to resolve the issue. If you would, please keep us posted on your efforts and outcome. Best of luck!

Has anyone resolved the over counting of flights, exercise and calories for Series 4 Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.