You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't sign in the App Store on my MacBook Pro

Hello, when I try to update my apps in the App Store, it asks me to sign in. I put in my Apple ID and my password and then I received the authentication 6-digit code on my iPhone. I enter it together with my password because no other window pops up to enter the code, like in other apps (saw on another Apple forum that this is what you should do, enter password and type right after it the 6 digits), however, it says that my password is incorrect. My password is correct, I tested it by signing in and out on my iPhone and on my iPad.Please help!

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 12:45 PM

8 replies

Mar 8, 2020 8:52 AM in response to masha32

Hello masha32,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. From my understanding, you're entering the verification code alongside your Apple ID password when prompted to update apps on your Mac. I'd like to share some information with you that may help.

I recommend only entering your Apple ID password without including the verification code. You should see a separate prompt to enter your verification code. The following support article has more details: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

If you've recently updated your Apple ID or Apple ID password, make sure you've taken each of these steps to update it on each Apple device and service: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Mar 10, 2020 1:41 PM in response to masha32

If you are running OS 10.10, you won't get the prompt box.

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

Safe Mode - About. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply. Pastebin. https://pastebin.com/

Etrecheck – System Information. https://apps.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?ls=1&mt=12

Web site version if required. https://etrecheck.com

Mar 10, 2020 1:34 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hello jeremy_v, thank you for writing back. Actually, on my Macbook Pro, unfortunately, there is no separate prompt (I am used to this process). This is what confused me and this is why I asked for help on the forum. I typed my password, together with the verification code because this is the advice I saw on another Apple forum. People say that it's something new and totally counter-intuitive, and this is why I tried. But not luck. Again, there is no separate prompt in which I can enter the verification code. What to do?

I have no such issue on my iPhone and mu iPad, both on which I managed to enter my new Apple ID password, using the verification code, enter in the prompt. I have no idea why on my laptop, after I enter the password, I do not get the prompt window in which I can enter the code, and I get the error message that my password was enter wrong too many times.

I hope I was clear? Many thanks.

Mar 10, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, you're a star. It worked. I created another account, entered the Apple ID, but then got another window prompt so I could enter the code the way I used to. Because no hiccups here, I then tested it on the App Store and FaceTime, and here, I used your advice and entered the password and the code together, because there was no prompt 2nd window. It worked.

I logged out and logged into my account. I was able to log into my FaceTime, using password+code together (no prompt window for the code). App store did not ask me for the the code this time, only my password.

Thank you again for your helpful answer.

can't sign in the App Store on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.