You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac system update - stop daily notification?

My Mac mini has MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). I have. decided not for the present to update to Catalina. Is there any way I can stop getting daily reminders about this system update? Every day I am faced with a choice about when I want a repeat of the reminder; the best I seem to be able to do is to click 'Tomorrow'. Is there is no way of choosing 'Never'?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 8, 2020 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2020 12:17 PM

Hello, Michael.

One way to stoop the nagging is to download the Catalina upgrade installer. The upgrade application will download to your Applications folder. Once downloaded, it will likely launch to begin the installation. At that point just quit the installer (⌘Q) and leave it alone in the Applications folder.

Software Updates will recognize that you have already downloaded the upgrade and will stop pestering you with the notification.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2020 12:17 PM in response to Michael Graubart

Hello, Michael.

One way to stoop the nagging is to download the Catalina upgrade installer. The upgrade application will download to your Applications folder. Once downloaded, it will likely launch to begin the installation. At that point just quit the installer (⌘Q) and leave it alone in the Applications folder.

Software Updates will recognize that you have already downloaded the upgrade and will stop pestering you with the notification.

Mar 8, 2020 1:40 PM in response to Michael Graubart

Michael Graubart wrote:

Thanks v. much, D.I. Johnson. Actually I accidentally did try starting the upgrade and stopped it just in time, but admittedly I did not. get as far as actually downloading the installer. I'll try agaain.

If the installer launch after download you can quit it like any other app—however , this has proven to be ineffective aginst the daily update notices, unless that installer is actually run.

(The installer will sit harmless in your Applications folder "Install macOS Catalina.app")

A temporary fix between shutdowns/log outs is from the terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored

(please note your psswd will not echo on screen—type it in anyway to proceed)

relaunch System Preferences>Software update

Then to suppress the red badge icon on the Dock, is one more Terminal command, copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && killall Dock

Mac system update - stop daily notification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.