You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No trash icon on iPad or iPhone

All of a sudden my emails from my gmail account are being put in my "archive" folder instead of my trash when I hit the "trash" icon. Trying to find my way around and fix that problem has now resulted in the "trash" icon disappearing all together. Can anyone help me? I have an iPhone 6s, MacBook Air, and iPad Air. I am really frustrated.

iPad Air 2, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 2:17 PM

I'm not sure I've fully understood, but it may help to know that Gmail accounts in Mail on iPad or iPhone have an Archive button instead of Trash by default. The icons aren't dissimilar in appearance, which can be confusing. To change your Gmail account to have a Trash button:

1. Tap Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Tap the Gmail account
  3. Tap "Account [you@example.com]" above the green toggle switches
  4. Tap Advanced
  5. Under "Move discarded messages into", tap Deleted Mailbox
  6. Tap < Account to go back, then tap Done

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 15, 2020 2:17 PM in response to candifrommemphis

I'm not sure I've fully understood, but it may help to know that Gmail accounts in Mail on iPad or iPhone have an Archive button instead of Trash by default. The icons aren't dissimilar in appearance, which can be confusing. To change your Gmail account to have a Trash button:

1. Tap Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Tap the Gmail account
  3. Tap "Account [you@example.com]" above the green toggle switches
  4. Tap Advanced
  5. Under "Move discarded messages into", tap Deleted Mailbox
  6. Tap < Account to go back, then tap Done

No trash icon on iPad or iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.