You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Are Videos Auto-Playing When I Don't Want Them To?

I have my preferences set to Stop Media with Sound, yet some sites keep playing one video ad after another, why is this happening? I keep having my settings in preferences ignored, whether by Safari, Spotlight, my Magic Mouse, etc, and wish the setting selected would actually do what they say....

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 1:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 1:55 AM

Section: Block video for all websites

Quote:

Choose settings for all websites that aren’t currently customized: 

Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu, then choose an option.

• Choose settings for all websites: Make sure no websites are listed under Configured Websites (to clear the list quickly, select the websites, then click Remove). Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu, then choose an option.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/stop-autoplay-videos-ibrw29c6ecf8/mac

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2020 1:55 AM in response to Saxman

Section: Block video for all websites

Quote:

Choose settings for all websites that aren’t currently customized: 

Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu, then choose an option.

• Choose settings for all websites: Make sure no websites are listed under Configured Websites (to clear the list quickly, select the websites, then click Remove). Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu, then choose an option.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/stop-autoplay-videos-ibrw29c6ecf8/mac

Apr 3, 2020 7:41 PM in response to dominic23

I did all that, every one says to stop media with sound, but videos still play.

However, I'm going to to have to see if it's all videos playing, or just ones with no sound. If that's the case, I'll use the stop all auto-play option. But I know I don't want any videos with sound playing without me selecting it/them... I'll check back when I see if the ones still auto-playing are only the silent ones, or if those with sound are still playing..

Why Are Videos Auto-Playing When I Don't Want Them To?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.