You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie is not working properly

Since few weeks ago my iMovie program doesn't allow me to drag and drop the movie and audio files into the the EDIT area. I tried to update the app but i couldn't.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 1:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 9:44 AM

To update, drag you iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name in the app store side bar. Your purchases will be displayed, including iMovie. Update or redownload it from there. If no success, drag your old iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the applications folder.

Before updating you might try the simple procedure of opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Create a new project and see if you can drag into a project timeline.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2020 9:44 AM in response to Rusito09

To update, drag you iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name in the app store side bar. Your purchases will be displayed, including iMovie. Update or redownload it from there. If no success, drag your old iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the applications folder.

Before updating you might try the simple procedure of opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Create a new project and see if you can drag into a project timeline.

-- Rich

imovie is not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.