You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Internal Mic not working

I can get sound with headphones on but no-one can hear me if I unplug them. I can hear others either way. Can anyone help please?

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 6:55 PM

7 replies

Mar 21, 2020 3:27 PM in response to KellieAmanda

Hi Kellie,

It seems you're having trouble with your internal mic and I want to help.

Go to Apple menu () > System Preferences > Sound > Input, and make sure your Internal Microphone is selected.

Change the sound input settings on Mac - Apple Support

If this is happening in a particular app, check to see if that app has sound input preferences of its own.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Mar 22, 2020 6:51 AM in response to KellieAmanda

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for giving that a try.

Just to be sure there's no issue with the hardware for the microphone, let's unplug any connected peripherals and reset the SMC:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Which Mac do you have?

Try cleaning your Mac to see if any debris might be obscuring the microphone:

How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Let me know what happens.

Mar 23, 2020 6:47 AM in response to KellieAmanda

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for sharing that,

Your Mac has mics on the left side near the Headphone port:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

Try to make sure they're clear of any debris and are not covered by anything while you're trying to record and test again.

Tell me if that helps.

Mar 25, 2020 10:13 AM in response to KellieAmanda

Hi Kellie,

If resetting the SMC didn't help and you've made sure the microphones aren't blocked by objects or debris, it may be an issue with the microphones that requires an assessment for service.

Some Apple Authorized Service Providers may still be open at this time, if you would like to contact the nearest one use the locator here:

Apple - Find Locations

You can also contact Apple Support for further assistance:

Contact - Official Apple Support

To get by in the meantime you could also wear headphones that include a mic. Your Mac will support headphones and mic over the Headphone port, USB, or Bluetooth.

Good luck.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities

Macbook Pro Internal Mic not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.