You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac (late 2009 27 inch model) as additional monitor for Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Hi there,

I am trying to activate target display mode on my 2009 iMac to no avail. According to apple's instructions this should be possible, but when I connect the two computers with a thunderbolt cable and press command-F2 on the iMac I get an error sound and nothing happens. I have tried troubleshooting (turning off/on, resetting MSC, experimenting with different thunderbolt ports on the Mac Pro and reinstalling OS X) but to no avail.

Could you please help with any additional suggestions? The thunderbolt chord is functional (I have tested it) but is there a way to test whether the Minidisplay port is functional/ active?

Thank you!

A

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 9:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 9:44 PM

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

The 2009 iMac has Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt. Even though a Thunderbolt plug will fit, it will not work.

If it's a 27" iMac, it will work if you use a Mini DisplayPort cable, such as:

https://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/DisplayPort/6-ft-Mini-DisplayPort-Cable-Male-to-Male~MDISPLPORT6

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2020 9:44 PM in response to amac2009

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

The 2009 iMac has Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt. Even though a Thunderbolt plug will fit, it will not work.

If it's a 27" iMac, it will work if you use a Mini DisplayPort cable, such as:

https://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/DisplayPort/6-ft-Mini-DisplayPort-Cable-Male-to-Male~MDISPLPORT6

Using iMac (late 2009 27 inch model) as additional monitor for Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.