You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install macOS from recovery after flashing question mark folder on boot.

So since Finder is terrible at locating the 2/3 of disk space "other" is taking up and all the other built in tools couldn't locate this "other" data as well. I decided to just wipe the drive, fresh install, and call it a day. I erased everything in Macintosh HD, Macintosh HD - Data, and kept what I presumed was the logical macOS Catalina partition.

That was clearly wrong as I was greeted by the folder questing itself in the most flashy manner.

Cool, cmd+R, got the spinning world, and went to reinstall macOS Sierra (Sierra, really? m'kay). It does it's thing for a few minutes and then right when it has -399 seconds remaining I get this..

An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

I've attempted this a few times with that same error message as the result. So here's an image of the Installer Log.

Before anyone asks or suggests a solution that uses another Mac. I don't have another Mac, and I cannot get another Mac.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 11:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 11:59 PM

Welp, I was able to fix it myself.

Upon re-boot cmd+option+r until spinning world then reinstall macOS Catalina.

Similar questions

3 replies

Cannot install macOS from recovery after flashing question mark folder on boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.