You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2019 Keyboard backlight going crazy

Hi All,

My MacBook Pro 2019 keyboard backlight is acting very weird recently, the issue is: when I restart my MacBook or turn it on after a shutdown, the keyboard backlight turns on during the first login with password and once I login, the keyboard backlight turns off and it never comes on again although I did the SMC multiple times, changes the keyboard settings to adjust keyboard brightness in low light and I also tried to change the surrounding environment light conditions for outdoor and indoor low and intense light but nothing worked so far, any idea how can I fix this? doesn't seem to be hardware problem, right?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 2:21 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 29, 2020 5:22 PM in response to msh2019

Hi msh2019,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing an issue with your keyboard backlight, and I'd like to help.

It sounds like you've taken great steps so far, which include checking the following: Adjust the brightness of your backlit keyboard - Apple Support, and Change Keyboard preferences on Mac - Apple Support. Resetting the SMC was already a good step, as it can help address keyboard backlighting issues.

Since the behavior remains, I would recommend making sure your macOS is fully updated: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. If it continues from there, try booting up into safe mode. It’s a way to start up your Mac so it performs certain checks, repairs, emptying of system cache, and prevents some software from automatically loading: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Once in safe mode, take notice if the exact symptoms remain. Sometimes safe mode can successfully resolve some issues. With this being said, after testing in safe mode, restart and log in as normal to see if that helps resolve the issue.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Mar 30, 2020 3:15 PM in response to msh2019

msh2019,

We appreciate you taking those steps.

Since the behavior remains, you could consider running a hardware diagnostics on your Mac, just to see if anything comes back in need of service: Diagnose problems with your Mac - Apple Support. I would also recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly to investigate the behavior in more depth: Contact - Official Apple Support.

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities, and take care.

Mar 30, 2020 12:40 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.

My OS is up to date and I also tried the safe mode but it didn't help, I got the same behavior of turning the backlight on at the password prompts in the first login, then it turned off. During safe mode I tried to adjust the brightness and also turn off the adjust brightness in low light option, but I had no luck.

MacBook Pro 2019 Keyboard backlight going crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.