You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud two-factor Identification

When I sign in to my iCloud with my computer, I received the two-factor Identification code notification sent on the same device. It's kinda silly. How do I make 2-factor code is sent NOT including the device used to log in? I think it defeats the security purpose to send to the security code to the same device.

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 5:48 PM

I think it defeats the security purpose to send to the security code to the same device.

Not at all.

2FA protects access to an account, not a device. Your strong passcode is what protects your device.

When accessing any Apple service on a device, the 2FA code proves you are the rightful account owner. This is because when you made the device a "trusted device" you proved you have control over it.

Now the 2FA process relies on you having full control over access to your device, and by association, your account.

If your passcode for your device is compromised, your account may still be safe.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2020 5:48 PM in response to davarse

I think it defeats the security purpose to send to the security code to the same device.

Not at all.

2FA protects access to an account, not a device. Your strong passcode is what protects your device.

When accessing any Apple service on a device, the 2FA code proves you are the rightful account owner. This is because when you made the device a "trusted device" you proved you have control over it.

Now the 2FA process relies on you having full control over access to your device, and by association, your account.

If your passcode for your device is compromised, your account may still be safe.

iCloud two-factor Identification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.