You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I "unhang" Photos iCloud library merge/uploadinfg

I have 4 Photos libraries on my iMac. I am trying to create a single Photos iCloud library. I think I know the basic approach, i.e. make 1 of the 4 libraries the system library, turn on iCloud Photos and let it upload into iCloud Photos. After it's uploaded, do the same thing with the next library on my iMac, etc.

So, my first library uploaded OK. The second library uploaded about 4,000 pictures, but is hanging saying"uploading 22 items". It has been hanging at 22 for a few hours.

What are the options for moving on to uploading my 3rd library and forgetting the 22 items? Maybe one of them or all of them are corrupt or a format that Photos can't handle for some reason. Or, trying to get those last 22 uploaded?

Any ideas most welcome.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 4:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 5:19 PM

Have you already tried to identify the problematic photos? If you have not done so, create a smart album (File > New Smart Album) with the rule "Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photos" . If this album is not empty, export the photos and delete them from the library, also from Recently Deleted. This may restart the upload.

Sometimes it will also help to restart the Mac in Safe Mode to clear some caches, then restart normally (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support).

But frequently it is a problem of some media item in the library, that is incompatible with Photos 5, or corrupted, or has permission problems and cannot be processed. Then we have to find this item. You can try to look into the upload cache directly in the library package. See this user Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002457

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2020 5:19 PM in response to ElGuadPaso102018

Have you already tried to identify the problematic photos? If you have not done so, create a smart album (File > New Smart Album) with the rule "Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photos" . If this album is not empty, export the photos and delete them from the library, also from Recently Deleted. This may restart the upload.

Sometimes it will also help to restart the Mac in Safe Mode to clear some caches, then restart normally (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support).

But frequently it is a problem of some media item in the library, that is incompatible with Photos 5, or corrupted, or has permission problems and cannot be processed. Then we have to find this item. You can try to look into the upload cache directly in the library package. See this user Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002457

Mar 29, 2020 8:44 AM in response to léonie

I did try to locate the bad file, but wasn't able to. I did create the smart album as you suggested on both the uploading library as well as a backup of it. No files were added to either smart folder. I have to admit I've never used smart albums, but they look powerful! I did delete the Recently Deleted folder. But, the uploading still hung. I completely shut the iMac, rebooted, and it looks like the upload has completed successfully! Thanks for the tips. I hope I don't need to use them all as I add my last 2 libraries, 63GB and 92GB, so it will be a few days of uploading!

How do I "unhang" Photos iCloud library merge/uploadinfg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.