You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot download new MacOS or iMovie

when I try to download iMovie, I get this message: iMovie can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 10.14.6 or later is required.

when I then try to download v 10.14.6, I get the following message: This version of macOS 10.14.6 cannot be installed on this computer.

I'm currently trying to work on a Mac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) with High Sierra 10.13.6

This Mac is without a pre-exisiting iMovie installed....

What do I do? Do I have any options?

Please help, I've been trying to install new versions all day. Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 3:45 PM

1 reply

Mar 29, 2020 4:48 PM in response to bodhialamodie

Regrettably, you are in a situation where you won't be able to download iMovie 10.

Your 2011 Mac is too old to install Mojave 10.14.6. Without 10.14.6 you cannot download current iMovie 10.1.14. See this link for the requirements for upgrading to Mojave:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190

Since you never had iMovie 10 on your computer it would not show up in your App Store purchases folder, and therefore could not be updated or redownloaded from there.

You might try using the App Store search box and type in "iMovie 10 app" to see if you can get a downloadable iMovie 10 app. However, I doubt that that is possible, as probably only the current iMovie 10, that you cannot download, would be available.

Your only option is to see if you can find iMovie 10.1.8 or earlier on the internet somewhere. However, many of those maverick websites are not safe and can expose your Mac to malware.

Sorry that you are in this position.

-- Rich

cannot download new MacOS or iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.