You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Trackpad 2 Connects but doesn't work

I got a new iMac in January. My old Trackpad (the one with the batteries) worked fine at that point. It finally physically broke a few days ago. I ordered the new Magic Trackpad 2 from Amazon and got it today. When I went to set it up, the iMac recognized it immediately but it would not work (no motion recognized, etc.)

I contacted support. They had me do all manner of things:

1) Use the Debug to reset the Bluetooth Module

2) Use the Debug to reset to factory default

3) Tried it on my Mac Book Pro

4) Disconnect, reconnect...

Anyway, we tried a lot of stuff. The oddity that they seemed to ignore makes me wonder something.

Oddly, the Trackpad came up with the name of the Old trackpad. Which I thought must be causing some kind of conflict. Two separate support techs didn't think anything of that but I'm fixated on it.

I reinstalled the OS but the way I did it was pointless since all user features remained. I need to do the 'wipe' version I think but before I waste another 40 minutes doing that, I thought I'd see if anyone has any other thoughts.

Anyone?

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 6:32 PM

I'm 99% sure I know how I just fixed this because it does work now.

The Track Pad coming back with the old name must've been it. On a total whim, I changed the name to Magic Trackpad 2. Within 3 minutes, it started working.

So I think it clung to the old ID or something.

Anyway, that's the solution.

Similar questions

1 reply

Magic Trackpad 2 Connects but doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.