You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does 2018 Mac Mini support DisplayPort Alternative Mode?

Would appreciate an answer to this seemingly simple question: does 2018 Mac Mini support USB-C DisplayPort Alternative Mode?

I have a monitor that claims to be supporting it. Yet when I connected the monitor to the Mac Mini, the monitor was not aware of the connection and powered off eventually.

The cable is USB-C PD, which came with my MBP, and I know it is working fine.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Robert

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 3:35 PM

You are correct, unfortunately Apple's USB-C ports, in reality they are actually Thunderbolt 3 ports, on their Macs do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode.

You will need to use a Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) to DisplayPort adapter/cable: Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable - Apple

More details on the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the adapters here: Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2020 3:35 PM in response to klock379

You are correct, unfortunately Apple's USB-C ports, in reality they are actually Thunderbolt 3 ports, on their Macs do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode.

You will need to use a Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) to DisplayPort adapter/cable: Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable - Apple

More details on the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the adapters here: Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2020 10:07 AM in response to klock379

see > Connect multiple displays to your Mac mini (2018) - Apple Support

It looks like you should be able to use a > Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable - Apple

If not, then you will need a > About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

and a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable > Startech White Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable

(I used the Startech Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for example)

Mar 31, 2020 7:56 AM in response to klock379

What is the make and model of the monitor?

and what ports does it have?

just so you know, if you are going from USB-C to USB-C then there is no display port involved. Display port is a type of connection. You can't have display port over USB-C.

The USB-C port on the monitor would need to be a Thunderbolt port to accept a video connection directly. If its just a data port to run the monitor's other usb ports then it won't work.

Mar 31, 2020 1:14 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil,

It is an LG 29UM69G-B, and it has 3 ports at the back: HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB-C (DP Alt Mode).

Based on what I read on the Internet, USB-C standard supports Alternative Mode, which is designed to allow USB connections to carry non-USB signal. As such, you can use it to carry DisplayPort signals without having to rely on Thunderbolt 3. https://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

And the article further suggested that USB-C PD cables also do support DP Alt mode by design. But USB-C has been quite confusing (for me) and I thought I should ask.

It is very likely that Mac Mini 2018 does not support USB-C DP Alt Mode, and I will need a USB-C to HDMI or to DisplayPort adaptor, if so, that's too bad. What frustrates me is that nowhere on the Internet I can find information about what USB-C standards Apple computers support.

Thx.

Does 2018 Mac Mini support DisplayPort Alternative Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.