You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing Internet connection after Sleep, Chrome freezes - Catalina 10.15.4

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2019. Recently, I have upgraded to Catalina 10.15.4. Since then, I always "lose" my Internet connection after Sleep. In fact, Internet connection is not broken (I can ping any IP); however, Safari and Chrome can't reach any site (can't resolve DNS).

After a reboot, everything comes back to normal.

Another problem after Sleep: Chrome always freezes. It it impossible to force quit, only by turning off the Mac.

When I had Catalina 10.15.3, everything was OK - no problem at all.

Has anyone faced the same problem?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 8:27 AM

toughtfulinsights wrote:

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2019. Recently, I have upgraded to Catalina 10.15.4. Since then, I always "lose" my Internet connection after Sleep. In fact, Internet connection is not broken (I can ping any IP); however, Safari and Chrome can't reach any site (can't resolve DNS).

Another problem after Sleep: Chrome always freezes. It it impossible to force quit, only by turning off the Mac.

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test

You can easily try reinstalling the combo update on top of your existing macOS 10.15.4— This is known to sort various anomalies associated with the delta update.

Combo update macOS 10.15.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2020 8:27 AM in response to toughtfulinsights

toughtfulinsights wrote:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test

You can easily try reinstalling the combo update on top of your existing macOS 10.15.4— This is known to sort various anomalies associated with the delta update.

Combo update macOS 10.15.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

Apr 6, 2020 7:16 AM in response to toughtfulinsights

toughtfulinsights wrote:

I mistakenly blamed 10.15.4 for all this problem. I moved back to 10.15.3 and the same problem persisted... So I remembered one thing: I installed AVG right before the upgrade to 10.15.4.

So, I removed AVG and did the upgrade to 10.15.4 again. The problem disappeared. It seems that AVG was the cause of instability in the web browsers.

Thanks for the update on the resolve of your issue—Anti-virus on the Mac typically cause all kinds of varying issues

Not to mention Apple has its own built in Security—

ref: macOS - Security - Apple https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Apr 2, 2020 4:22 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your reply, leroydouglas. I have tried both: first, the Safe Boot - the problem persisted. So, I installed the Combo update of 10.15.4. The problem continued as well.

I tried to change all sort of network configurations, but the "lost connection problem" continued. So, I decided to restore my backup of 10.15.3 - and the problem disappeared!

So, for now, I will not update my Mac. I have been using Macs for more than 20 years, and I don't remember to have so many problems as now with Catalina (in my other Mac, I have faced many problems with an USB External keyboard after Catalina upgrade - it stopped working after Sleep).

Apr 6, 2020 6:52 AM in response to toughtfulinsights

I mistakenly blamed 10.15.4 for all this problem. I moved back to 10.15.3 and the same problem persisted... So I remembered one thing: I installed AVG right before the upgrade to 10.15.4.

So, I removed AVG and did the upgrade to 10.15.4 again. The problem disappeared. It seems that AVG was the cause of instability in the web browsers.

May 12, 2020 11:24 AM in response to toughtfulinsights

I'm experiencing this problem too. iMac 2017, 1 TB fusion drive, macOS Catalina 10.15.4. It's been driving me nuts. This happens after sleep but not every time. Safari won't connect, though other internet connections work - I can download email in Mail and transactions in Quicken but sometimes email wouldn't load remote content. Wifi troubleshooter said everything was fine. Another symptom was I couldn't shut down or restart normally. Apps would close but Finder obviously was failing and the Dock wouldn't close so the computer wouldn't shut down and I had to force shut down with the power button. Resetting Finder by deleting its prefs file usually worked but the problem would come back. I finally reinstalled Catalina and the problem went away for 3 days...but came back. Saw this thread so I uninstalled Avast anti-virus and am now anxiously waiting to see if this permanently resolves the problem.

Losing Internet connection after Sleep, Chrome freezes - Catalina 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.