You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use an external display for a MacBook Air by keeping the lid of the laptop closed ?

Hi there,

First of all, I am new to the world of Mac and still in the process of learning from the fundamentals.

I bought a new MacBook Air last week and currently working on it by connecting to an external display via an Apple Multi port adapter.

When I do work, I usually close the lid of the display of the laptop. But to do so, I found in most of the forums that the laptop should be connected to the power. I feel it is not the ideal option because if I do so, I need to keep my laptop powered for long hours even though the battery is fully charged.

So my question is there any way in which I can use the external display without the need to connect the laptop to power ?

Thanks a lot.

BR,

Gayan.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 3:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:22 AM

So what I am worrying is if I keep my laptop powered for long hours (more than 10 hours) will it affect the battery life ?

No, not at all. Ten months, yes. Ten hours, no.

Just use the battery once in a while. For more information please read Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan.

Similar questions

4 replies

How can I use an external display for a MacBook Air by keeping the lid of the laptop closed ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.