You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2010 White MacBook OS Upgrade

We have a;

13" White Mid-2010 MacBook .

Processor: 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Memory: 2GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

A few years ago, we upgraded the OSX to 10.12.6. This caused the MacBook to slow down so much it was unusable. We put it away and worked off a shared MacBook Pro. Now, with all that's going on and the newly found downtime, I was able to do a bit of research and cloned the existing 500G HD to a new 500G SSD and swapped them in the MacBook. Amazing!!! It's like a new computer.

Now I'm thinking of increasing the RAM. Apple says it can only go up to 4G but I see other mentions on the Web that 8 or 16G RAM works. Does 8 or 16 fit in the same slots as 4? Does more than 4G create other issues?

Next - Can we upgrade the OSX to 10.13? Now that we are using a SSD and perhaps upgrading the RAM, is this MacBook compatible with any OS above Sierra (OSX 10.12.6)?

Atlas

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 4:42 PM

I can help you a little bit, Atlas.....

the maximum RAM you could put in it would be 16 gigs. It would fit in the same slots as 4 gigs. I'm guessing there are 2 slots there, so 2x8 gig sticks. As for the OS.....yes, it will go up to 10.13.x which is High Sierra. Here's Apple's webpage that lets you do that....

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208969.

You can run El Capitan if you wanted to, but not all the features of El Capitan would work on your MacBook. However, it's possible....

You're definitely going to need more ram whatever you want to do, 2 gigs is the absolute bare minimum.... so more is good.

good luck

John B

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2020 4:42 PM in response to Atlas

I can help you a little bit, Atlas.....

the maximum RAM you could put in it would be 16 gigs. It would fit in the same slots as 4 gigs. I'm guessing there are 2 slots there, so 2x8 gig sticks. As for the OS.....yes, it will go up to 10.13.x which is High Sierra. Here's Apple's webpage that lets you do that....

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208969.

You can run El Capitan if you wanted to, but not all the features of El Capitan would work on your MacBook. However, it's possible....

You're definitely going to need more ram whatever you want to do, 2 gigs is the absolute bare minimum.... so more is good.

good luck

John B

Mid-2010 White MacBook OS Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.