You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I log-in to my router settings?

I have an Actiontec GT784WN modem/router and my log-in credentials are not recognized. Is there a way to log in?

When I used OS Mojave I didn't have to log-in.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 3:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 3:48 PM

Dig out the modem/router manual. If it is web managed, you should be able to enter a pre-determined IP address (per the manual) that wakes up the web management component in the device. If it is not web managed, then you may have been presented with a management application's dialog asking if you wanted Keynote to remember your password for you on Mojave.

You may have to reset the ActionTec, and start over with a new password and configuration settings.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2020 3:48 PM in response to technology today

Dig out the modem/router manual. If it is web managed, you should be able to enter a pre-determined IP address (per the manual) that wakes up the web management component in the device. If it is not web managed, then you may have been presented with a management application's dialog asking if you wanted Keynote to remember your password for you on Mojave.

You may have to reset the ActionTec, and start over with a new password and configuration settings.

Apr 7, 2020 6:29 AM in response to technology today

technology today wrote:

I am admin but my username and password didn't work.

This has to be the router admin and passwd— this is set up when the router is at its default settings an anybody can log into it on your Network.

Some default settings on routers use admin/admin as the default, Look for support on the developers website if in doubt—different manufactures use different default login credentials

one quick google search: https://www.cleancss.com/router-default/Actiontec/GT784WN

Apr 7, 2020 12:41 PM in response to technology today

technology today wrote:

I would like to do a factory reset but an Airport Time Capsule is my Access Point/Base Station for my wireless network which complicates things for me. Can you possibly tell me: if I reset the Actiontec and start over with a new password and configuration settings what settings will I be losing?

You will only be losing the network settings.

If your TC is doing the routing, it is only getting the Internet IP address from the Modem. It then divides up that single IP amongst all the clients. So, you shouldn't lose anything resetting the Modem.

You will again have to configure the Actiontec to "bridge" mode or whatever is similar.

Confirm that you mean the TC is distributing IP addresses to all your devices and not the Actiontec router?

Apr 7, 2020 1:31 PM in response to Barney-15E

The ATC is in bridge mode.

My ISP has online instructions on how to do a factory reset on a router using the reset button on the back which my router does have. What I still cannot understand (and, yes, I have already chatted with my ISP) is just how I will start over with a new user name and password to access the web-based router settings? In other words, I reset the router and then go to http:/1XX.XXX.X.X where I should see the login requiring a User Name and Password but what do I enter just to access the settings? Once I can log in I will have to find a page allowing me to change the default login info to something unique and therefore more secure. I made all the current configuration settings some time ago so I hope to be able to remember how to reset them. Thank you.

Apr 7, 2020 2:15 PM in response to technology today

If the ATC is in Bridge mode, then you are using the Actiontec as your router. You will need to completely set it back up after resetting it. Most of that setup is automatic, though.

Your router may not have any default username and password.

If it was supplied by your ISP, then the username and password should be on a sticker on the bottom/back of the router.

Have you tried that one?

If you end up needing to reset the modem, make sure you do set a username and password to manage it--and write it down.

Apr 13, 2020 9:46 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

It is web managed and although my old computer under OSMojave may have a bulging battery I took a chance and used it. In Keychain Access I found 2 User Names & Password combinations. I of them worked on my new computer under OSCatalina which requires a login. Thanks so much.

How can I log-in to my router settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.