You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Mac Mini 2019 to a 2012 iMac

Would like to connect new Mac Mini to iMac 2012. if possible use the iMac SSD Drive and 1 TB drive that I boot from

Is this possible for me to boot from Mac Mini and still have the 2 iMac drives available.?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:18 AM

If you just want the iMac's drives to be visible on the Mac Mini, you can use Target Disk Mode: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

You'll need an adapter like this: About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

if you need to use the iMac as a display for the Mac Mini you can use Target Display mode: Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

You can't use both mode modes at the same time though,

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2020 6:18 AM in response to luapram

If you just want the iMac's drives to be visible on the Mac Mini, you can use Target Disk Mode: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

You'll need an adapter like this: About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

if you need to use the iMac as a display for the Mac Mini you can use Target Display mode: Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

You can't use both mode modes at the same time though,

Apr 7, 2020 6:27 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil,

Just to be certain I have understood.

1. Can I Boot from Mac Mini?
  2. Understand the connection.. I have tried this but I have to press keyboard keys to switch from iMac to Mini.. Do I still have to do this..?
  3. is Target mode what I do when I use keyboard to switch..?

I tried the keyboard connection when I first tried to use Mac Mini with iMac... not very user friendly..

Thanks

Apr 7, 2020 9:28 AM in response to luapram

What were the white symbols that came up exactly?

You need to press the T key as its turning on and hold it until its in Target Disk Mode.

You should see a thunderbolt icon on the iMac's screen, and nothing else. If you do, it means the iMAc has correctly entered Target Disk Mode.

Command+F2 is for Target Display Mode, as I said, it won't work at the same time as Target Disk Mode.

Its one or the other.

Apr 7, 2020 8:33 AM in response to luapram

With both connected through the thunderbolt ports on each (regular USB ports will not work) You boot up the Mac Mini from its own drive, and you boot up the iMac from its own drive, holding down the T key on your keyboard that is connected to the iMac. Or by using the option in the iMac's Apple Menu if its already turned on.,

Once both are booted up, the drives from the iMac should appear on the Mac Mini in Finder as external drives you can access.

You cannot boot the Mac Mini from the drives on the iMac if that is what you mean.

Apr 7, 2020 10:30 AM in response to Phil0124

Correct.. Thunderbolt 3 on Mac Mini to Thunderbolt 2 on Imac

Just checked them both and did a share screen connection to see if mac Mini was connected.

Also system reports on both machines show Thunderbolt connection.

I have wasted enough of your time.. I am going to come back later on and fiddle with them both again

Just one last thing-What was the Apple Menu connection if both machines were on?

Thanks again...

Connecting Mac Mini 2019 to a 2012 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.