You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro doesn't show WiFi networks near me until I connect to my Personal Hotspot

My MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.3 doesn't automatically connect to a WiFi network anymore. This problem started about a month ago and happens with any known WiFi network (at work, at home, etc). When I start my computer, the only option I have is to connect to my own Personal Hotspot. Once I connect to my hotspot within about 20 seconds WiFi networks in my area start to appear. Eventually, I can click on a network that my computer knows and I am connected. I have to do this whole process again after my computer goes to sleep. This seems like a very strange workaround and I am curious if there is anyone with the same problem, and even more so, is there anyone who can help me? I called Apple Support a few weeks ago and they didn't know what to do either. This has been a persistent problem and it's starting to really impact my user experience and my ability to focus on my work.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 2:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 8:24 PM

I understand your Mac isn't automatically connecting to any of your preferred networks.

Try this: open Network Preferences and select Wi-Fi. The "Advanced" button will reveal a list of "Preferred Networks".

After a while that list can grow so large it becomes unwieldy. I suggest deleting all those networks using the [—] (minus) button, including your home and work networks. Then, connect to the one(s) you require as needed. See if that results in faster acquisition of the networks you wish to join.

Refer to Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support. It generates an enormous report, most of which isn't very interesting. Its Summary page is most useful. Of particular interest is the fact Wireless Diagnostics will emphasize an excessively large list of "Preferred Networks". That's the reason I suggest pruning that list from time to time, especially if you travel a lot.

My MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.3

Update macOS: Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support. The current release is 10.15.4.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2020 8:24 PM in response to olivia_caldera

I understand your Mac isn't automatically connecting to any of your preferred networks.

Try this: open Network Preferences and select Wi-Fi. The "Advanced" button will reveal a list of "Preferred Networks".

After a while that list can grow so large it becomes unwieldy. I suggest deleting all those networks using the [—] (minus) button, including your home and work networks. Then, connect to the one(s) you require as needed. See if that results in faster acquisition of the networks you wish to join.

Refer to Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support. It generates an enormous report, most of which isn't very interesting. Its Summary page is most useful. Of particular interest is the fact Wireless Diagnostics will emphasize an excessively large list of "Preferred Networks". That's the reason I suggest pruning that list from time to time, especially if you travel a lot.

My MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.3

Update macOS: Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support. The current release is 10.15.4.

My MacBook Pro doesn't show WiFi networks near me until I connect to my Personal Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.