You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import digital tape

Old topic, nothing recent, still need help.

I have old digital video tapes (Sony Optura 30), and recently posted and learned about how to hook it up to my 2018 Mini. Have yet to buy the cables.

However, I found an ancient MacBook (2009?, 10.5.8, not further updatable), still runs, with a Firewire 400 port on it.

I have successfully networked that old MacBook, so was wondering about being able to import digital tape video - preferably uncompressed, over the network to my Mini.

Question #1: Is this worth pursuing? Or am I just going to end up buying the several cables to connect directly to the Mini's Thunderbolt 3? (I'm concerned about doing that - not cheap - and then not having it work.)

Question #2: The Mini of course also has an HDMI port, but I'm presuming that's unidirectional _out_. Correct? (The older USB-3 ports and the Ethernet port won't help me, to the best of my knowledge.)

Thanks to all.

(Question #3: Then I will get into software to upload the digital tape videos, but that could be another post - and on which computer?)

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 2:37 PM

1/ How likely is it to work, to string 3 cables/connectors together as described (Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 to USB-C/Thunderbolt-3)?

I think 0% chance, but wait for more replies on that, but might be cheaper than a bunch of other ways...

https://www.macofalltrades.com/apple-imac-20-inch-2-66ghz-core-2-duo-early-2009-mb417ll-a-2/

Or even older Mac on eBay?

2/ Then is there current software which can read the digital tape format from a 2005 Canon Optura 30 digital camcorder?

iMovie for one should be able to do it.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2020 2:37 PM in response to ctlow

1/ How likely is it to work, to string 3 cables/connectors together as described (Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 to USB-C/Thunderbolt-3)?

I think 0% chance, but wait for more replies on that, but might be cheaper than a bunch of other ways...

https://www.macofalltrades.com/apple-imac-20-inch-2-66ghz-core-2-duo-early-2009-mb417ll-a-2/

Or even older Mac on eBay?

2/ Then is there current software which can read the digital tape format from a 2005 Canon Optura 30 digital camcorder?

iMovie for one should be able to do it.

Apr 8, 2020 8:45 AM in response to ctlow

I don't seem to be able to edit my post from yesterday, but I know and so should not have asked about sharing a port, Firewire or other, over a network. Not a thing.

Clarified questions, then:

2/ Then is there current software which can read the digital tape format from a 2005 Canon Optura 30 digital camcorder? I would prefer "raw", and did this fifteen years ago on a different platform as "AVI" files. It's not that I haven't looked ... bit of a jungle out there.

Thanks again.

Apr 9, 2020 5:40 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, BDAqua. There have been no further replies to date.

What happened though is that you prompted me to have another look at the ~2009 MacBook (which I didn't discard way back when), and what didn't work yesterday, did work today - who knows what small setting I might have changed.

I would like to be able to get AVI files the way I did years ago, but managed to get uncompressed MOV video off that old camcorder, using iMovie (from about a millennium ago). I'm not quite sure what Sound option to use, but it's all working, at least. I'm sure that I'll be able to import all of these quasi-raw files into my up-to-date iMovie on my current computer, and process them further there.

For now I just want the data, while the old computer is still working. I have lots of disk-storage space.

And I'm happy (enough)! I can't thank you enough - I just needed that little push to verify my (initially-erroneous) findings.

Apr 9, 2020 10:05 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks again.

It turns out that some assumptions that I made about file formats were wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_file_format

Yikes! That'll make the dusty corners of my cerebral circuits leak a little current. I will know in the fullness of time whether the files I produce will be widely readable or not.

Apparently the days of producing DVD-format movies - not meaning just files on a data-DVD - are falling behind us, and people are just distributing files (if for personal use, which these are). And iDVD is long gone from Apple. So, I will have to choose a format. iMovie offers many on the "Share" menu.

Thank you!

import digital tape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.