You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.6 Fails to export: compressor kit error

iMovie 10.1.6 on iMac OS 10.11.6 (yes, El Capitan) suddenly will not export movies.

Gives compressor kit error.

Changed the move. Deleted transitions. Fails export.

Duplicated project. Fails to export.

Started over. New Project. Edited movie all over again. Fails to export.

Found support page here suggests reboot in Safe Mode, then back again in Normal Mode.

Did that. Fails to export.

All media was shot on iPhone 11Pro, with some edits made in the Camera Roll before importing into the iMac.

Found Apple Support page with instructions on altering Library/Application Support/Compressor folder or the Apple Qmaster folder. My Library/Application Support folder has no such folders or files in them.

Any suggestions?

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 9:26 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

May 13, 2020 5:47 PM in response to MattSzl

If the CompressionKit:Error was there once it is still there unless you eradicated it with one of the procedures discussed in the thread that I posted above. Below is a copy of my latest post on this that brings us up to date on the issue.

"The Compressor Kit Error message has been reported with increasing frequency of late. No universal fix so far, although lately users with the problem have been able to fix it by reinstalling/updating/upgrading iMovie and, if necessary, the operating system to Catalina.  Also sometimes successful is starting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and then after

everything loads immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode. Recently there has been a breakthrough on this issue, discovered by nicocaro, who posted a solution on this forum. Below is a link to the thread where

he describes how to solve the problem by removing a 64bit codec from an iTunes update.  Other posters have successfully tried the solution. It seems that updating iTunes may cause iMovie to exhibit the CompressorKit:Error by implanting a 64bit architecture in the system library, that conflicts with an older version of iMovie. That would explain why upgrading to 64bit Catalina and current version of iMovie has solved it for some posters here.  Upgrading to Catalina, however, would disable all older 32bit applications that would be no longer supported. Some legacy media may not play in iMovie, either, and would need to be converted.

"Here's the link to nicocaro's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

"And here as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251352619

"Here's another link, though older, that describes what others have tried

with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

"There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for

you.

"All else failing, try calling Apple Support. The techs there are very savvy and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate

to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac OS/Applications/iMovie.

"Good luck with this.

If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who have this perplexing issue, and will contribute to our data base. "

-- Rich

Apr 9, 2020 9:00 AM in response to jonny59

You didn't mention the age or specs of your computer. If you are not able to update/upgrade, you can try redownloading what you have.

Before that, however, try going to your iPhone 11 Pro settings (Settings/Photos/Transfer to Mac or PC) and set the export to Automatic, that will export at a more compatible format. Possibly your videos were recorded in the HEVC format, that sometimes can cause problems. That format was not compatible with operating systems before Sierra. Then re-export one of your video clips and see if it will share out in an iMovie project.

iMovie versions will work on older Macs that are running operating systems compatible with the iMovie version. You should have no trouble running iMovie 10.1.6 with El Capitan. I take it that your system was working just fine until you "suddenly" got this export issue. Some glitch or compatibility issue has happened, and that can occur with any

software. As mentioned above, your videos from your iPhone 11 Pro might be in the HEVC modern format that could cause a compatibility issue.

In case the media is the problem, you can also try re-encoding the clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Handbrake will do it by default. Try a test clip and see if you can convert and export it. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

Another thing that you can try is to open iMovie in a new user account, and see if iMovie works correctly there. You can create a new user account from System Preferences/Users and Groups.

If none of the above solve it, you can try redownloading iMovie. To redownload your iMovie 10, use this easy procedure: drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if and return it to the Applications folder.

You can also try reloading your operating system. To reload your operating system, type into the Finder Help search box the words "Reinstall Mac OS" to get instructions on how to either reinstall the OS that you have or to install the latest version OS that your Mac can run. Determine whether those instructions can work for you. Always back up your files before redownloading or upgrading your operating system.

Before you start with the operating system I think that you might benefit from calling Apple Support and talking with the techs there. They are pretty savvy and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we can't do here. They may be able to solve your dilemma. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper right corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can provide your phone number and arrange a time to have an Apple Support tech call you back.

Hopefully you will be able to resolve this perplexing CompressorKit error. Many others on this forum have had the problem and some have been able to resolve it. Good luck with this.

-- Rich

Apr 19, 2020 3:06 AM in response to Rich839

I have Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan), I cannot upgrade my OS but I used the latest updates. I was able to export all my projects up until February on Final Cut. Friday I finished a project, and tried to export it. Final Cut just crashes when I try to share as master file or for Apple devices... It gave me a compressor error kit when I tried to upload directly to Youtube.

So I downloaded iMovie from the AppStore. I loaded a video clip, I didn't edit anything, and tried to export it, but I get the compressor error kit whenever I try to share the video no matter what options I choose.

I tried with another video which I had successfully edited and exported on Final Cut in February. It also failed and triggered the compressor error kit.

So, I looked for the issue online, and tried pretty much all the solutions that were given, such as: rebooting, booting in safe mode, resetting nvram/pram, resetting SMC, changing library, deleting some Quicktime components, logging in from another user's session, and I'm currently re-installing the app.

Has someone found a solution? Buying a new laptop isn't the solution I expect. My computer works perfectly fine apart from that...

Apr 19, 2020 9:48 AM in response to mac-a-damia

Hi,

The CompressorKit:Error is a frustrating problem. It's an old problem but it seems to be cropping up frequently of late. The solution that I have seen work most consistently has been to update the software. Some people who have subsequently upgraded to Catalina and current iMovie have reported that it fixed the problem. Sometimes just updating iMovie without upgrading to Catalina has fixed it.

I suspect that the issue is being caused by Apple's recent updates. One poster found that his CompressorKit:Error was caused by an iTunes update that downloaded a 64 bit component that conflicted with the 32bit applications on his Mac. He was not running Catalina. He fixed the problem by removing the 64bit component. The fix was a little complicated and I don't recall the steps. I have been looking to find his post. If I find it I'll post back.

Have you updated iTunes lately? If so, maybe that's causing the issue. I am running Mojave with iTunes version 12.9.5.5 and am not having any CompressorKit:Failure issues. If you have done an iTunes update I am wondering if perhaps using Time Machine to revert back to an earlier iTunes version might help, unless the 64bit component had been updated into some systems folder somewhere. Just speculating here.

-- Rich

Apr 22, 2020 3:31 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your suggestions. I apologize for this belated reply. I've been swamped with other work.

More of my specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS 10.11.6 (not willing to upgrade past El Capitan as other vital applications will turn into bricks.

All software up to date (as much as Apple offers updates for this version.) No separate updates available for iTunes, iMovie or anything else.

iPhone Pro Settings - Export was already set to "Automatic," so nothing to change there.

iMovie: V. 10.1.6

All worked fine until just a couple of weeks ago.

All exports result in a Compressor kit failure message.

I tried the suggestion of creating a new user, logging in as that new user, and using iMovie. Two things happened:

1), I was able to create a project but under no circumstances would it allow me to create a new event. I could not drag any video clips into the event window. I did drag video direct into the editing timeline.

2). Tried to output that. Another Compressor Kit error.

I'm intrigued by the other solution you linked to on April 19 at 10:15am.

It suggested running Console, then iMovie, do an export, and see what messages register in Console.

This shows up:

4/22/20 3:25:20.754 PM ProTranscoderTool_sb[21949]: [15:25:20.753] VTRegisterVideoEncoderBundleDirectory signalled err=-12902 (kVTParameterErr) (CFURLRef doesn't point to a directory) at /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-1731.15.207/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTVideoEncoderSelection.c line 1815

4/22/20 3:25:20.815 PM ProTranscoderTool_sb[21949]: Error loading /Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/Compressor.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/StompUtil.framework/StompUtil: dlopen(/Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/Compressor.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/StompUtil.framework/StompUtil, 265): Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudioKit

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice: mach-o, but wrong architecture

4/22/20 3:25:20.815 PM ProTranscoderTool_sb[21949]: Failed to load ProTranscoder class from NSBundle </Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/Compressor.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/StompUtil.framework> (not yet loaded)

(plus several more lines)

The writer on that other thread found the problem to be the MobileDevice.framework.

He manually force replaced the offending library with a previous version.

I need some instructions on how to do that. Can you help?

Also, he said by replacing that MobileDevice.framework, his iPhoneXR no longer connects to his iTunes. He was willing to live with that.

I am not comfortable with that. I only sync my iPhone11Pro with my iMac by a cable. I do not use wireless synching or backups.

Apr 22, 2020 4:15 PM in response to Vince Patton

I am not getting the CompressorKit error and therefore haven’t tried nicocara’s ingenious solution that worked in his situation. So I am reluctant to try to guide you through something I haven’t done. I don’t want yo mess you up.

I suggest that you post your question in nicocaro’s post, since he has done the procedure. There also is another poster in that thread who was able successfully to do the procedure. They would be more appropriate people to help you through this.

If you have time, please post back with your results and any tips you might have for others who might want to try it.

— Rich

May 13, 2020 3:12 PM in response to Vince Patton

I am having this exact problem right now. I shot all video files with an iPhone 11 Pro and slightly edited them before dumping them into iMovie.

When I try to export an iMovie project it originally had the "compression" issue icon that popped up, but now nothing happens and the "upload circle" in the upper right corner just goes away.

Any thoughts? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

iMovie 10.1.6 Fails to export: compressor kit error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.