You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple "ITEMS" in KEYCHAIN?

how do i use this UI?

it seems to list two items one above the other.

the one at the TOP had an ACCOUNT NUMBER (i blanked it out but it was on the right) associated with it. the one at the bottom has an email associated with it (i blanked out a portion of it).

the one at the top has TWO ITEMS listed?

i assume i CANNOT SEE the passwords associated with these - well i don't know what they are since they are not labeled. i guess they are URL ADDRESSES for "xxxus.net" (also partially blanked out)? and i have TWO ENTRIES for this URL? one had an ACCOUNT NUMBER which i blanked out on the right? one had an EMAIL ADDRESS that i partially blanked out?

is this "telling me" i logged in with an account number one time but logged in with the "postmaster@" email address another time?

WHAT IS THE "and 2 more" telling me?? i mean if i click on the postmaster item it is obviously filling in the website with the hidden password of the second item? and if i delete it i have deleted THIS SINGLE PASSWORD and the entry associated with it?

HOW DO I KNOW WHAT PASSWORD is being filled in with the first item? it says "XXXus.net" (no it is not a weird url i just blanked it out and it have three other letter...). and 2 more what? 2 more PASSWORDS?

i keep having to delete every entry for a specific URL (which i GUESS is what is being captured by keychain)? and starting again when neither of these TWO entries work. is it just two entries shown here?

i guess i have no idea how i am supposed to keep keychain updated when a password doesn't work or really what to do to PREVENT THIS issue (not being able to log in).

THANK YOU FOR HELPING

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 12:25 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 13, 2020 3:30 PM in response to BDAqua

sorry. thanks for the bump. very helpful...

so this is what i see when i am in a safari window and when i click in the entry box for the site and i get the little KEY ICON i guess in the right corner which i understand ten years down the road is a signifier for keychain passwords and not 1Pass passwords or whatever.

so i click on the key icon and it gives me the same dialog box i see when i do the pulldown you suggest.

and in both cases you can SCROLL to find something (not helpful) or you can SEARCH for the keyword (for the site you were just on mind you) - well, because you have the domain memorized because it is one of a handful of domains (including gmail) where you are constantly in this dialog and - well basically deleting all of the passwords associated with that site because there is no way to determine what is what in keychain.

i mean i have to assume keychain keeps things in the same order in both dialog boxes since it is the same data? so you pulldown to item 1 in the list and try it and it doesn't work and then -argh. well then you pull down to the second one that says plus one or two or three items and i have no idea what you are doing. you don't have an option to select one of these afaik so you just select that entry for however many items. and if that does not work you just go back in and delete everything associated with that url and you request a new password from the domain.

keychain seems like something got fried in the implementation imho.

multiple "ITEMS" in KEYCHAIN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.