You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External mic not working

I have an iMac mid 2011. I am trying to use a headset and mic. I have tried both USB and 3.5mm jack types. Sound comes through but it will not recognize the mic. I tried the audio midi settings and the sound settings. Nothing works.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 4:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 4:25 PM

Hi, I believe it is Audio Out only, it has the Headphone Icon above it right?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/audio-ports-cpmh0052/10.13/mac/10.13

10 replies

Apr 12, 2020 6:53 PM in response to BDAqua

None of that works. I am using Microsoft Remote Agent to connect to my work computer. We are using a software for virtual phones. Not sure if that is where the problem comes in. I have tried all those suggestions, nothing works. I can hear through the headset, but the mic still doesn't work. I appreciate the help.

Apr 13, 2020 8:30 AM in response to maj88

The 2011 iMacs have both an audio-in jack and an audio-out/headphone jack (3.5mm stereo, each). Each performs only its single function. One is output only, the other input only.

If you want to use a mic plugged into the audio-in, also make sure that in System Preferences > Sound you have set your input source to Line-in, otherwise your iMac will use its built-in mic.

If you have a headset with a built-in mic (like the Apple earpods w/3.5mm plug) with only one plug (it's a combined phone/mic plug) - and you plug that into the audio-out (headphone) jack, you will only get audio you can hear, the mic won't work. That's because the single plug connects both the headphones and the mic at the same time ... but your iMac's audio out is only audio out. You have to use a separate mic that can be plugged directly into the audio-in jack. I believe I have seen plug adapters that take the combined phone/mic plug and convert it to separate phone & mic jacks. Parts Express or Monoprice may carry them.

Another issue is that the iMac's audio-in is line level, not mic level; some mics may work directly with it but the volume may be low. You may need a mixer/preamp to use a mic with the audio-in port on your Mac.

Is there a specific reason you can't or don't want to use your iMac's built-in mic?

Apr 19, 2020 2:32 PM in response to MartinR

I need to be able to make phone calls for work. When I attempt to make a call through the virtual software we use, it says there are no lines available to reach your station and tells me to contact the administrator. I was told by the IT department that it is not recognizing the headset as a mic, therefore it won't allow me to make calls.

External mic not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.