You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External MIDI timing and display problem with Logic X

Hello there.

I have a problem with the way MIDI is displaying and playback.

The unquantized notes you see in the picture should roughly be on the 1, 2, 3 and 4. I played them in time and they play back in time, but as you can see the notes appear to be late by almost a whole beat. They play back just fine, like they are on the beat.

If I try and quantize them to be in time on the 1, 2, 3 and 4 and press play its like I get a MIDI pre roll and then the rest of the tune comes in almost a beat late.

I have no MIDI delay when playing and recording notes in, but playback and display have the above problem.

I have tried;

Other MIDI interface.

Changing audio output/input to be internal.

Complete fresh install 10.13.6

I don't have this problem with internal instruments.

Mac Pro 2009 with 2 x 3.46 6 core Xeon

Thank in advance,

Alex

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 12:15 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 14, 2020 3:17 PM in response to AlexanderBanks

Alex, no problem

Here's some other possible solutions... but I think it's probably related to my last entry in this post.

So it's appeared with different Logic versions... 10.4.6 is a dud, either 10.4.4 or 10.4.8 are better but I don't recall this kind of error. Are you starting on beat one and not before, what if you start recording at beat 2. When resetting to the beginning of the song are right on beat one.

No delay inducing audio plugs.

Maybe time to nuke the preferences file and control surfaces. Type: ~/Library/Preferences (Use the Go/Go To Folder in the Mac Finder menu GO. Delete com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder, Note if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step, then delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs

The only other thing I can think is.... how ever you got 10.13 to load on a 2009 MP could be causing the problem. There is extensive Reworking of MacOS Graphics starting with High Sierra. Using Sierra with Logic 10.4.4 would be your ideal solution. (Possible solution would be to update Logic to 10.4.8)

Here's the Apple support list.

• MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 and later)
  • MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2009 and later)
  • Mac mini (2010 and later)

Apr 14, 2020 10:17 AM in response to AlexanderBanks

Alex wrote: > I don't have this problem with internal instruments.

So this happens only when recording an external MIDI track? But not if you're using Logic's internal synths?

Very strange.... What is your keyboard?

In the upper left Logic Pro X menu/Control Surfaces... what happens if you Bypass All Control Surfaces, quit Logic then restart?

Apr 14, 2020 1:20 PM in response to Pancenter

Hey Pancenter,

Just when using external devices, soft synths are ok.

I have a MiDiPLUS x4 mini keyboard connected over USB to the computer, and then a MIdiman Midisport 2x2 sending MIDI to external synths.

I tried the Bypass All Control Surfaces and restart Logic, recorded a new piece of MIDI information, but it had no affect. Same error in the position of the notes displayed, but playback is unaffected. When quantized the same problem of MIDI playing early was apparent. Incidentally, the timing error comes up in the display AS I'm recording - you see the incorrect timing displayed within the sequence in real time.

I tried using a Novation remote 61 SL with the MiDiman, same problem.

I tried using a Novation remote 61 SL as the USB input and MIDI output, same problem.

I have tried with different I/O buffer settings. I had a good look through Preferences and project prefs. I had a look at audio and MIDI setup - it all looks good.

I also tried setting I/O to be built in and doing the Bypass All Control Surfaces/Restart - nope.

I have had this problem for more than 2 years. It's not been a problem as I wasn't using outboard till recently.

Thank you for your time,

Alex

Apr 15, 2020 5:32 AM in response to Pancenter

I did all those things and updated to Logic 10.4.8

Trashed the Prefs

No change.

I had the processors upgraded and the firmware fix. I believe I can only run OS up to 10.13.6 because my audio interface driver (MOTU 24IO) is 32bit only.

I believe I had this problem before the upgrades.

The workaround is; have a MIDI delay in parameters box of 252ms, record MIDI and manually move MIDI data to roughly in time (select all/drag) and then quantize.

Bugger!

External MIDI timing and display problem with Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.