You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Funny saved password behavior in Safari

MacMini (2012) running High Sierra. This has an admin account with a longish password, and my wife and I each have user accounts with no passwords - I did this so we can fast user switch without entering PWs all day long.

Anyway, on her account (but not mine) the option to use a saved user name/password in Safari (for web sites, etc) pop up normally but only for an instant, and then disappear (after maybe half a second). If you click on the icon that appears on the right in the user name or password fields, it does the same - flashes briefly, then disappears. It's long enough to see the user name, but not long enough to click on fill-in-password-for-this-site.

All these things work fine on my account.

Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 11:45 AM

If you boot into her account using the Safe Mode, does it work?

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2020 11:45 AM in response to pdq2

If you boot into her account using the Safe Mode, does it work?

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Apr 16, 2020 5:21 PM in response to pdq2

The report looks normal. I don't know what the Smart Utility application in her log in items does, but if you disable that, does that make a difference?

If she goes to Safari/Preferences/Passwords, can she open the passwords without having a user password? Can she check to see if Autofill passwords is checked? If she can't, if you add a user password to her account, can she then check Autofill to see if it is selected?

Funny saved password behavior in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.