You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are photos exported from Photos 5.0 on Catalina....?

Hi,

Catalina 10.15.3, Photos 5.0

I can't find exported photos. I select

File -> Export -> Export Unmodified Photos

I see no place to specify a directory in the dialog that pops up. I cannot find any exported photos -- even using a bash terminal and "find" command. I'm not even sure the photos were exported.

What gives...?

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 7:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 6:59 PM

Well, Photos now works... after I reinstalled Catalina 10.15.4 from the network.... I have no idea what was wrong with my system. But many applications were not working, and CPU usage was through the atmosphere on many processes, including Mail, Safari, Photos, Siri, and others....

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2020 6:59 PM in response to Community User

Well, Photos now works... after I reinstalled Catalina 10.15.4 from the network.... I have no idea what was wrong with my system. But many applications were not working, and CPU usage was through the atmosphere on many processes, including Mail, Safari, Photos, Siri, and others....

Apr 16, 2020 11:51 AM in response to Community User

Do you have photos selected, when you are trying to export?

First select the photos to export, then use the command "File > Export > Export Unmodified Originals". If no photo has been selected, the file chooser dialog will not appear.

When you export, use the option "Filename > Original Filename". If you use "File name > Use Title" you have to make sure, that the photo currently has a title. Photos will export the images as invisible files, if the title of a photo has been erased.

This bug has been around for a long time: Bug: Exporting Images with "Filename: Use Title" can export invisible files.

Apr 15, 2020 12:00 PM in response to Community User

The first window allows you to select export options. Set what you want, then click on the Export button. Only then you’ll see the window that allows you to select the destination.

Unless you modified your Notifications settings, you should see a notification displayed telling you when the export has been completed. Useful if you’re exporting many photos at once, as that may take a bit of time.

If that’s not what you’re seeing, please explain in greater detail what is occurring.

Apr 16, 2020 12:31 PM in response to léonie

Yes, I have files selected for export. No, I did not manually rename any of them.

I have never, ever encountered this problem previous to my upgrade to Catalina.

But, as I said, I know I'm having some serious problems with my system. I'll reinstall the OS first and then return to this problem (and several others I'm having)....

Where are photos exported from Photos 5.0 on Catalina....?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.