You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move folders to the trash

Since upgrading to Catalina, 30 folders appeared in the Macintosh HD finder window. They were not there before. See below. They are dated between 2017 and 2018. I cannot drag them to the trash and when I right click, "Move to Trash" is not there as an option. There doesn't seem to be anything in these folders.

I have restarted, tried holding down command, option, control, fn, while trying to drag the items to the trash.to no avail.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 6:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 7:54 AM

That didn't work. I found a much simpler solution. I booted from an bootable external SSD that I had make with Carbon Copy Cloner. The folders were not present on the backup for some reason. I was then able to go to the internal Macintosh HD and delete the folders. I did have to put in my password to do so but it worked like a charm.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2020 7:54 AM in response to Barney-15E

That didn't work. I found a much simpler solution. I booted from an bootable external SSD that I had make with Carbon Copy Cloner. The folders were not present on the backup for some reason. I was then able to go to the internal Macintosh HD and delete the folders. I did have to put in my password to do so but it worked like a charm.

Can't move folders to the trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.