You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to hear prior track while recording?

Hi All

Newbie here: please help?

I want to record a second track, while listening on headphones to a first track I recorded, so that the first track is not recorded into the second track.

My problem is that the first track is being recorded along with the second track. But I do not want the first track to record onto the second track: just to be audible to me while I record the second track.

I have clicked the Monitoring button on the first track. It says "Hear incoming signals on audio-tracks that are not record-enabled".

But this is the opposite of what I want, which is to hear incoming signals *from* an audio track that is *not* record-enabled, while recording on tracks that *are* record enabled.

The Monitoring information doesn't seem to apply to my second track either because if I click it on the second, recording track, I will be hearing incoming signals *on* an audio track that *is* record-enabled. Again the Monitoring gremlins do conspire against me.

(I am not using a MIDI device, just Garageband into and out of my MacBook Pro.)

I would really appreciate your help with this.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 1:19 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 16, 2020 5:22 PM in response to Discussionsusername

Hello Discussionsusername, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I see that you're having some trouble recording in GarageBand. 

Using your headphones to hear track #1 while recording track #2 is the right place to start, as is mentioned in this section of GarageBand Help: Turn on input monitoring for audio tracks.

"You should usually turn off monitoring when you’re not playing or singing. When monitoring is turned on, your computer can pick up output from your speakers or monitors, causing unwanted feedback. Using headphones rather than speakers to listen to your projects can help eliminate feedback."

The article also includes this information: 

"If you select your computer’s built-in microphone as the audio input (in the Audio/MIDI pane of GarageBand preferences), monitoring is turned off for all Electric Guitar tracks to avoid unwanted noise." 

If you're not using the built-in microphone, or Electric Guitar tracks, these articles may also be helpful:

Record multiple audio takes - If you're recording one instrument at a time.

Record to multiple audio tracks - If you need to record several instruments at once. 

If you find you need more help with GarageBand: Apple - Support.

All the best.

How to hear prior track while recording?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.