You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I unlock the Users and Group Preferences in the system preferences?

Hi there, my question is how can I unlock the Users and Group Preferences in the system preferences?

I have use my administrator's user name and my password but it won't let me unlock it. What can I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 11:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 11:44 PM

asini27 Said:

"[...]my question is how can I unlock the Users and Group Preferences in the system preferences? I have use my administrator's user name and my password but it won't let me unlock it. What can I do?"

-------

Strat Here:

Reset the NVRAM or PRAM and then reset the SMC, of your Mac. Sometimes, changes are made to your system, and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, when that happens, reset these to get things to operate as they should.

If Neither Reset Works...

Use Safe Mode:

Also, try booting into Safe Mode (Hold Down the Shift key upon boot). While in Same Mode, create a new administrator, that you have another Administrator User to use.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2020 11:44 PM in response to asini27

asini27 Said:

"[...]my question is how can I unlock the Users and Group Preferences in the system preferences? I have use my administrator's user name and my password but it won't let me unlock it. What can I do?"

-------

Strat Here:

Reset the NVRAM or PRAM and then reset the SMC, of your Mac. Sometimes, changes are made to your system, and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, when that happens, reset these to get things to operate as they should.

If Neither Reset Works...

Use Safe Mode:

Also, try booting into Safe Mode (Hold Down the Shift key upon boot). While in Same Mode, create a new administrator, that you have another Administrator User to use.

How can I unlock the Users and Group Preferences in the system preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.