You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new MacBook Pro has no operating system and it fails to install by using Recovery Mode... Why?

I just bought a second hand MacBook Pro 2017. I'm sure it was working like a charm, as I saw him using the Mac next to me without noticing any issues. Then, he restored the Mac to factory settings and gave the Mac to me.

When I came home and tried to open my Mac; it did not start, however a flashing file image with a question mark on appeared:

After some research on the internet, I was able to get into the Recovery Mode by holding Cmd + R after pressing the Turn On button. I connected to the WiFi and tried to install the latest OS. I was asked to choose either one of these disks ("Uten navn" means "Untitled" in Norweigan, and it isn't me who created or named these disks):

I tried to install it on both of the disks, but I received this error right at the end.

I did some more research, and found out that i should repair the disks by using First Aid, but I got these errors:

Once again, didn't work. Then I tried to erase the disks. No use. At this point, I actually tried everything that was possible, several times each. But nothing seemed to help. There's not really that much option, too, as far as I am concerned.  So what is the problem here? I don't really understand why this is happening...

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. I would be very happy if somebody could help me... Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Umut Sina

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 5:49 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 18, 2020 4:09 AM in response to etresoft

I have almost a similar issue, my MacBook 2015 (came with El Capitan), i has to erase the disk on the recovery mode, but every time I try to install an OSX (El-Capitan through the recovery screen), or using USB bootable with Mojave or Catalina, even through internet recovery, always restarts in the middle and I get a Kernel error (fatal error). Searched the net and I found an article to modify the Mac date through terminal from the recovery mode to two or three years back, even this didn’t work.

I have a feeling that there is more to just erasing one disk through the disk utility, To do a fresh install. Any ideas?

Apr 18, 2020 5:01 AM in response to usinakenes

Your first problem merely meant it couldn't find the startup drive. An NVRAM reset might have fixed that problem, or selecting the startup drive in Recovery. The symbol you see there means the boot files are missing.

That Mac had Catalina installed, so you will need to completely erase it to install Sierra.

You need to boot into Internet Recovery using cmd-opt-R on restart. You'll see a spinning globe as it boots from Apple's servers.

Once booted, open Disk Utility.

In the View popup menu, select Show All Devices.

You should be able to select the drive device. Topmost, left outdented from its parts.

Erase that using Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID partition table.

Name the volume anything you want.

Quit Disk Utility.

Reinstall the OS. My guess is it will attempt to install Sierra, again.

Apr 18, 2020 3:53 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you very much for your reply.

But I don't see any Add (+) or Delete (–) option in Disk Utilities. Maybe that feature is not available on Recovery Mode?

However, I've managed to make some progress. I erased every volumes such as "Uten navn", "Uten navn – disk", "Preboot" etc. under the "AppleAPFSMedia" disk, and erased the disk "AppleAPFSMedia" itself as well. It automatically asked me to name the new volume and I named it "Untitled".

However, I wasn't successful at erasing this disk:

I then tried to install the OS once again, and this time I didn't get the error that hindered me from installing it (see main post). This time the screen got all black for a minute or two, and then an Apple icon with a loading bar below appeared. There was progress in the loading bar and I really thought this was it, but ultimately it did not last long and this icon appeared:

So, what does this mean and what should I do now? What are your suggestions?

Thanks, again.

Kind Regards,

Umut Sina

Apr 17, 2020 6:15 PM in response to usinakenes

Hello,

I’ve got some kind of same issue with my MacBook Pro 2017 Touchbar. It was running perfectly till I restarted it one day occasionally, after that flashing folder with question mark appeared. Apple support were advising to reboot Mac in different modes, reset some other stuff as well. In the end I was able to get into recovery mode super slow and laggy... but the thing in recovery mode I was not able to select any drive, any storage to reinstall MacOS. I brought it to Apple store, they ran some test and told me that the error is “storage failure” and it require replacement of the whole logic board for around 800 US bucks.

I used the computer for 2 years only, had to replace the display due to a dead pixel, had to replace the keyboard due to a double clicking key, then I had to come back few more times, bcause when they assembled my MacBook they failed to connect one of speakers properly, what caused malfunction of that speaker.

In the end, the storage issue isn’t solved yet, my Mac is a piece of useless metal now since I can’t use it.

My new MacBook Pro has no operating system and it fails to install by using Recovery Mode... Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.