You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After wiping my Macintosh HD disk clean, how do I apply a Time Machine backup to the cleaned Mac?

My Macbook Pro 2015 is experiencing some technical issues that support has spent a lot of man hours trying to fix. As a last result, we are uninstalling macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and wiping the Macintosh HD disk clean. I've been given step-by-step instructions on how to do this and how to reinstall the OS once more.

My only question is, how do I then take my Time Machine backup and apply it to the newly cleaned Mac once all is said and done? I'm NOT tech-savvy, so I apologize if this is a silly question... but I can't find info online about this and did not think to ask on the phone with support. Is the application of my recent backup automatic once I turn Time Machine back on in the system preferences?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 10:23 AM

Hold down cmd-R and restart. When it boots into Recovery, click Restore and choose the Time Machine backup you want to use.

Similar questions

2 replies

After wiping my Macintosh HD disk clean, how do I apply a Time Machine backup to the cleaned Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.