You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find instructions on setting up a Cinema Display with my MacBook Pro?

I have a ~8 year old laptop, and I just bought a used screen from someone off Craigslist. Sadly, I didn't have my laptop with me and wasn't able to test it before leaving. I assumed it wouldn't be hard to set up an external monitor (I've done it with work PCs), but I haven't been able to make it work. I am a little confused by the fact that in addition to the power cord and a cord to the computer there is a 65W Power Adapter. I have done the following:

1. plugged the 65W adapter into the wall
  2. plugged the cable that fits from the bundle into the 65W adapter
  3. tried, one at a time, plugging the USB-A and the Thunderbolt cables into my laptop

I can see a little light in the right hand corner of the screen pulse on and off gently, but nothing is showing up on the screen.

Help?? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 6:17 PM

The display probably has a Mini DisplayPort plug, not Thunderbolt. A Thunderbolt plug will have a lightning bolt icon. Plug both the Mini DisplayPort and USB cables into the laptop.

If an Apple LCD display detects an error condition, the power LED will flash in a certain pattern to indicate the issue.

Pattern Meaning:

Short, short, short. The display is detecting wrong video format or an unsupported resolution.

Verify that your equipment is compatible and restart the computer. If the issue continues, reset the PRAM.

Short, long, short. Make sure you are using the correct power adapter with the display. This alert will only appear on displays built in 2004 or later which require an external power adapter.

Short, short, long. The display is detecting a backlight error. Check your display's power connections and restart the computer. If the problem continues, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2020 6:17 PM in response to tigretoo

The display probably has a Mini DisplayPort plug, not Thunderbolt. A Thunderbolt plug will have a lightning bolt icon. Plug both the Mini DisplayPort and USB cables into the laptop.

If an Apple LCD display detects an error condition, the power LED will flash in a certain pattern to indicate the issue.

Pattern Meaning:

Short, short, short. The display is detecting wrong video format or an unsupported resolution.

Verify that your equipment is compatible and restart the computer. If the issue continues, reset the PRAM.

Short, long, short. Make sure you are using the correct power adapter with the display. This alert will only appear on displays built in 2004 or later which require an external power adapter.

Short, short, long. The display is detecting a backlight error. Check your display's power connections and restart the computer. If the problem continues, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Where can I find instructions on setting up a Cinema Display with my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.