You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated Mac Mini Later 2012 to Catalina OS X - Slow for over 2 weeks

Please help, my mac mini is incredibly slow after upgrade to the latest operating system. I start up my Mac at 11am and I can not use it until now (2:15pm). I have tried everything Mac Clean X, cahche, removing old apps, removing agents, Siri, voice control, display properties, extensions, etc. I have googled all the "try this" articles. I have even followed each point from Apples' official guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1731/mac

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 8:02 PM

Did you review the Report? Etrecheck thinks you have a failing hard drive. Good opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

As I mentioned, a slow, spinning hard drive is not the best choice for either Mojave or Catalina. Not only do you have a 5400 RPM hard drive, it is failing. Double whammy.

Not only do you have a failing 5400 RPM hard drive, you only have 4GB of RAM. Triple whammy.

If you don't have a backup, you should make one now.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2020 8:02 PM in response to Jones-Mac

Did you review the Report? Etrecheck thinks you have a failing hard drive. Good opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

As I mentioned, a slow, spinning hard drive is not the best choice for either Mojave or Catalina. Not only do you have a 5400 RPM hard drive, it is failing. Double whammy.

Not only do you have a failing 5400 RPM hard drive, you only have 4GB of RAM. Triple whammy.

If you don't have a backup, you should make one now.

Apr 21, 2020 5:37 PM in response to Jones-Mac

A safe bet is something from Other World Computing. They have a very good reputation. I bought one of their mid-level models a few years ago. I can't remember the specs, but I used it to Make a Fusion drive with the Mini's HDD.

I also have purchased a SanDisk SSD in a 2010 MacBook Pro. It was very cheap, so I bought it to give it a try. Worked great.

Other than that, I don't have enough experience to recommend much. I always get whatever I think I can afford.

It's an eight-year old Mac, but I would bet it would continue to serve you well with an SSD.

Updated Mac Mini Later 2012 to Catalina OS X - Slow for over 2 weeks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.