You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you force iCloud files/folders to always have a local copy?

Other cloud service providers, such as Dropbox, have smart sync functionality that allows users to choose which files/folders are kept in the cloud (these are represented in Finder by shortcut-style links to the cloud-based files and downloaded to the device on demand) and which files/folders are always stored locally. Either way, the file's status is displayed to the user using an icon in line with the file, similarly to iCloud.

Does iCloud have any functionality like this that allows users to choose to keep certain files locally?

It seems crazy that it wouldn't, given that third-party providers are able to integrate with macOS so well.

Please see the screenshot below for how Dropbox allows users to make this choice using the built-in Finder tool menu.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 12:03 PM

iCloud Drive does not have such a feature. It is all or nothing. You can refrain from using the "optimise Storage" option and then all files will be mirrored locally on your Mac, but when you decide to use "Optimise Storage" it will be fully automatic, which files will be saved locally, usually the most recently used files.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2020 12:03 PM in response to csmith16

iCloud Drive does not have such a feature. It is all or nothing. You can refrain from using the "optimise Storage" option and then all files will be mirrored locally on your Mac, but when you decide to use "Optimise Storage" it will be fully automatic, which files will be saved locally, usually the most recently used files.

Apr 19, 2020 12:34 PM in response to csmith16

It has been this way since the "optimise" feature has been introduced.

I would also prefer to have more control over the optimisation. As it is now, I dare not to use "Optimise", because I am frequently using my macs, where I cannot access the internet. So it would be too risky to rely on the automatic optimisation.

You could send a feature request to Apple. There is the feedback form iCloud:

Feedback - iCloud - Apple

May 4, 2020 10:07 AM in response to léonie

Thanks léonie,

I can imagine how you feel!

My problem is that I use the 200GB iCloud storage subscription for all my files, so there is no way I can keep all of it synced to my machine - besides the fact that the reason I chose cloud storage in the first place was to remove the burden on my local machine's storage!!

I will leave feedback and we can only keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Can you force iCloud files/folders to always have a local copy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.