You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling mac os without recovery mode or bootable usb

Okay, so I'm on mac os sierra, however I recently downgraded from mac os catalina with a time machine backup. However, I noticed that my recovery partition is still catalina. Can I just download the mac os sierra installer from the support website and reinstall it from in the system (like as if I were upgrading from el capitain or something)? Would that give me my mac os sierra recovery partition back? Any help is appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:43 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 21, 2020 1:58 PM in response to a brody

I actually already used that. I had used that and it pulled up what looked to be a mountain lion recovery. I used that to properly format the disk as mac os extended journaled. I then tried to restore from a time machine backup in that internet recovery and it didn't restore. It said something along the lines of "the recovery partition can't be created" if i remember. I then rebooted and got to be what looked like a catalina internet recovery. From there, I just clicked restore from backup and was able to get my mac os sierra running. However, my recovery partition is still a catalina recovery. Should I be concerned if my recovery partition is a different os than my main os? And how can I get the mac os sierra recovery partition back?

Reinstalling mac os without recovery mode or bootable usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.