You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd generation wont allow sign in

I cant sign into my 3rd Gen Apple TV, its says I need my 2 Factor auth, however your own OS for this device wont prompt for it, for reasons passing beyond my understanding. I get the notification on my iPhone and iPad. So clearly it knows its me, I acknowldge that yes I am trying to sign in, tell it to authorize, have the code ready which it never asks for and then it returns asking for a password again.

Did they put out an update to disable the ability to use devices that dont support 2 factor authentication now like in their older systems? Thats all i can think of logically as I can sign into my AppleTV apple and Apple accounts on any other pc or device. So it is isolated to this 3rd gen appletv.

If in fact this was the case and its a deliberate effort to force people to buy new gear then that's one way to push this user to any other vendor going forward.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 7:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 7:29 PM

No, it sounds like you’re inputting it wrong. Two factor can be used on 3rd Gen .

if you have an older model ATV the code is entered onto the end of the password as one entry. Example: “password123456” then click submit 

If you need more time you can have the code sent to you:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2020 7:29 PM in response to MenaceRx

No, it sounds like you’re inputting it wrong. Two factor can be used on 3rd Gen .

if you have an older model ATV the code is entered onto the end of the password as one entry. Example: “password123456” then click submit 

If you need more time you can have the code sent to you:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Apple TV 3rd generation wont allow sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.