You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install macOS Catalina

Hi guys,

I have a MBP late 2013, i5 2.3GHz, 4GB, which supposely supports Catalina and i am trying to reinstall this macOS for weeks now without success.

I am able to install Mavericks and Sierra, but when i try to install Catalina it gets stuck after reboot, always at the same spot.

I tried to make a bootable usb but with the same results.

I tried to install Mavericks, then move to Sierra, then move to Catalina but no success.

At first i thought that it could be a corrupted Catalina installation but is impossible to be the case all 300 times i tried to install.

I also performed a hardware test and it gave no errors.

I dont know what to do more, do you guys have any ideia?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 4:13 PM

download the Golden Master Catalina installer from the App Store. Should be about 8.1 GB then do this create media:

Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal

1. Connect the USB flash drive or other volume you're using for the bootable installer. Make sure that it has at least 12GB of available storage and is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

2. Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.

3. Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace MyVolume in these commands with the name of your volume.

4. Catalina:*

5. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2020 4:13 PM in response to Bullykau

download the Golden Master Catalina installer from the App Store. Should be about 8.1 GB then do this create media:

Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal

1. Connect the USB flash drive or other volume you're using for the bootable installer. Make sure that it has at least 12GB of available storage and is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

2. Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.

3. Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace MyVolume in these commands with the name of your volume.

4. Catalina:*

5. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Apr 24, 2020 3:20 AM in response to Bullykau

You might want to try installing High Sierra, with installing High Sierra you should get a window explaining the mac needs a firmware update (follow the instructions), this prepares the disk for the new APFS file system which is mandatory for the install of macOS Catalina.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Please make sure that your mac is connected to your router via cable not WiFi.

Apr 24, 2020 3:12 AM in response to DonH49

Ok, i tried to createinstallmedia in Mavericks but it said that i should run this command in 10.12.5 or higher.

i tried to install High Sierra, but no success, it happens the same as in Catalina installation, it gets stuck after reboot.

So i will install Sierra, that is the most recent OS that works and try to createinstallmedia, but i am afraid that this will not work.

Apr 24, 2020 3:59 AM in response to Bullykau

Yes I know but I was trying to explain why it might be failing when you try to install Catalina when you have Mavericks or Sierra installed. Re the firmware.

Have you booted to your Recovery HD and checked the health of your disk through Disk Utility> Verify (Mavericks) or Disk Utility> First Aid (Sierra). If you encounter errors run Disk Utility again until they clear.

How much free space do you have on the disk if it is low that may be the issue, you can buy a Thunderbolt to Gigabyte Ethernet adapter on Amazon.

Did you actually manage to make a bootable USB installer with Catalina on it.

The version of the Install macOS Catalina.app should be about 8.23GBs in size, is it.

Is there a reason you want Catalina, remember it does not run 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/. Once the list has been created you can then

contact the developers of the apps to see if they provide 64bit updates. 

Apr 24, 2020 4:47 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks Eau Rouge,

Yes, i have booted into recovery mode, and checked Disk Health, i also performed a hardware test with memtestx86, with no errors thrown.

I have a 128gb ssd, but i think the space is not the problem because i formatted the disk several times in these processes, the only thing i have in the disk is the OS.

I will install Sierra now to create a bootable Catalina usb.

I dont have any specific reason to want Catalina, i just want the most recent OS supported by my MBP.

But i cant even install High Sierra, i dont think this is normal.

Thanks again

Can't install macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.