You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple Music/iTunes sync playlists to my iPad but not my iPhone X?

Hey Apple Fam,

I'm looking to figure out why Apple Music isn't syncing playlists to my iPhone X. It seems as if it does it on my new iPad, but won't sync playlists on my iPhone. I noticed there is a circular sync icon on my iPad that stays on screen during the sync process but when I watch for that on the iPhone X in the upper right hand corner, it comes up for 2 seconds and then stops, but Apple Music on the Mac thinks its still syncing and even says so when it's connected.

If someone has a fix I'm certainly all ears...

Best

Ty Spencer

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Thanks for trying those steps and getting back to us Ty. It's appreciated. Since you're not using Apple Music, you can turn that feature off under Settings Music. 

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer -- Since iTunes isn't syncing your playlists automatically, you can select which music you want synced. The steps to do so are under "Sync or remove content using iTunes". First, see if it will sync your entire library. If it doesn't, click the box to the left of "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres" and choose all the music you want to sync to your phone.

Get back to us with the results when you're able.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 4:25 PM in response to tyroniusfunk

Thanks for trying those steps and getting back to us Ty. It's appreciated. Since you're not using Apple Music, you can turn that feature off under Settings Music. 

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer -- Since iTunes isn't syncing your playlists automatically, you can select which music you want synced. The steps to do so are under "Sync or remove content using iTunes". First, see if it will sync your entire library. If it doesn't, click the box to the left of "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres" and choose all the music you want to sync to your phone.

Get back to us with the results when you're able.

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2020 8:36 AM in response to tyroniusfunk

Greetings, Spencer.

I see that you're unable to sync playlists to your iPhone X. It works fine on your iPad, and I'm glad to help with this.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music -- If you subscribe to Apple Music, go to Settings > Music, and make sure that both "Show Apple Music" and "Sync Library" are both on.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer -- If you're syncing your iPhone with your computer, restart your iPhone first, then see if you're able to sync.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care.

Apr 29, 2020 12:41 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris,

its Ty—I’m shooting you some photos of how it looks on my end when I go to my music settings on my phone—there is nothing to toggle titled, “Sync Library”.

There is only “Show Music” but I don’t subscribe to Apple Music but turned it on anyway in case that were to help and restarted my iPhone first then my computer and synced and still no playlists...

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Why does Apple Music/iTunes sync playlists to my iPad but not my iPhone X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.