You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated Catalina on iMac

After much debate, I was finally talked into updating to Catalina. After a normal installation, log in screen does not accept my password. (Password worked fine until Catalina!) After repeated tries, a hint pops up saying the account (?) uses an iCloud password! After entering every password I can recall, I received the same “hint.” Restarting brings same results. Attempts to change Apple ID password was not helpful. Any ideas? Please advise, as I am extremely frustrated & NOT IMPRESSED with my Catalina introduction.....

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 9:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 6:04 PM

Hi Colanut1,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to get logged into your Mac because it is not accepting your user password. I'd like to help.

Please try the steps in this article, to get your user login password reset: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support.

Let me know if this helps get you logged back in, please. Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2020 6:04 PM in response to Colanut1

Hi Colanut1,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to get logged into your Mac because it is not accepting your user password. I'd like to help.

Please try the steps in this article, to get your user login password reset: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support.

Let me know if this helps get you logged back in, please. Best regards.

Apr 30, 2020 10:08 PM in response to CarlAVII

PsyDye, My Login issue required a lengthy chat with Apple support. Eventually, (because the tech was so patient with my nervous blunders), we conquered the login issue. I was able to take my first step into Catalina! Then, a few loose ends & housekeeping duties later, I had a functioning Mac. I goofed around with it all day, after a week of it being locked up. At 11:30pm, I saw your reply.....

I found your reply very helpful for a different reason. I read the articles you had suggested and found myself recalling the steps that were taken during the restoration! I was “learning,” not just “following!” Your recommendations gave me a roadmap to show how far I had gone. In addition, you cared enough to reach out & help a stranger.

I appreciate your accurate suggestions, wisdom & kindness....... many thanks

Updated Catalina on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.